Amp connections

A

andy21

hi, newbie question alert. I have a denon 3801 and i have read the manual and it shows how to connect tv, video and dvd etc with svideo cables and composite video cables. Why would i want to connect tv to amp with svideo or composite, i thought i would only have to use audio leads, Probably a stupid question but its all new to me

Andy,

there are two reasons to do this, but on cheaper amplifiers/better quality monitors for the video, the loss of signal quality in having a non-direct signal pathway between source and destination may mean a preference for a direct DVD to TV/projector connection. Also, if you connect directly via SCART you may be able to use RGB instead of S-Video or Composite, regarded to be superior.

1. If you route via the amplifier, the amp can output an 'on screen display' (OSD) which will allow you to change and tweak settings for the amplifier using a display on the TV, overlaid on the normal DVD picture/video source. This is much easier than trying to do it by ear and front display. In many cases, setting up without using the OSD is nigh on impossible.

2. It affords the opportunity for video switching. This means that the video will always match up with the audio being processed/output by the amplifier. This is perhaps much easier when the TV has only one A/V input or to minimise the need for additional remote control button presses to select input sources on the TV and amplifier.

Out of the two S-Video is the best quality connection but the amplifier is unlikely to be able convert between that and composite. This means that a composite connected video player will have to have a composite connection to the TV from the back of the amplifier. Likewise, an S-Video connected DVD player will need an S-Video connection to the TV from the amplifier. However, many TV's will allow both connections to exist simultaneously using the same A/V input.

ok, thats a little clearer now, i have already used the OSD of the denon to set up the speakers etc. I dont really need to use the video switching i think. Have you read my other post regarding the sub problem from the atomic system.It makes a loud thud when i turn it off, any ideas. Also makes popping noise during playback. Any help appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom