Amp Connections

Cardinale Rosso

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Have just bought an Arcam 'C30', two 'P1's, and one 'P25' amps at auction but with no manual or wires and I'm really looking forward to hearing what they can do ... BUT I'm new to the pre-, power-, and bi-amp, bi-wiring world, so can someone tell me how to join all of them together to my speakers please?! And what connects will I need? Presumably the previous owner bi-wired the speakers and had a dedicated P1 for each output...

I also got T32 tuner and CD23, neither of which I really need... any suggestions about re-sale value or offers?!

Thanks - much appreciated!

PS oops - forgot to mention that I also got a B&W ASW 750 with the amps listed above - so need to include that in the loop too!

Thanks again - and apologies for my novice questions.

Manuals for all discontinued Arcam products are available from the links at Discontinued Products The manual for the C30 includes comprehensive instructions on biamping.

BTW, if the previous owner was indeed biamping, he was probably using one channel from the P25 for the tweeter on each speaker, and the P1s to individually amplify the woofer on each speaker. This strikes me as bizarre, and likely to sound a bit odd given the difference in output power between the two amps. If I were you, I'd forget biamping and just use one P1 for each speaker, and sell the P25 along with the T32 and CD23.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had previously looked at the manuals and diagrams on the Arcam website and I couldn't get them to correspond with what I'm looking at - which may be my lack of familiarity with this sort of thing - hence my port here ... and still can't see where to put the ASW 750 in the signal circuit.

BTW the speakers I want to drive are ELS 57s, if that makes any difference ... I currently have a [very new] Arcam A19.

OK, so ELS 57s don't allow you to biamp anyway, not as far as I know. So the P25 is useless to you...

Wire left channel preamp out from the C30 to the input on one of the P1s - wire the output of the P1 to the input of your left ELS 57. Wire right channel preamp out from the C30 to the input on the other P1 - wire the output of that P1 to the input of your right ELS 57. Ideally, use the balanced outputs on the C30 and the balanced inputs on the P1s - you'll need a pair of XLR cables for this.

The ASW 750 takes a stereo line-level signal, so run a stereo phono cable from the RCA preout connectors on the C30 to the line in connector on the ASW750.

That's it - you're done - you will need to adjust the level on the ASW750 to blend nicely with the sound from the Quads.

Hiya

I recently sold my CD23T for £410.

Where did you buy the amps from?

Thanks - will do that.

Is the P25 any use with my current A19 [in another room] or another integrated amp?

Much appreciated - looking forward to a few 'happy hours' with miles of cables and wires this weekend ...

Hiya

I recently sold my CD23T for £410.

Where did you buy the amps from?

Thanks for the info - did you sell on-line [where?].
I got the system at a local general sale auction [in Suffolk] where they'd been put in with all the usual kitchen and furniture tat by a house-clearance company ... the auctioneers and the sellers had no idea of their value; also came with a pair of 'Mission 782's and 'B&W CDM#1 SE's... paid just under £1k for the lot [incl commission], which caused general amazement in the room to everyone apart from me and the underbidder - they were expecting £100 to £150...

Thanks for the info - did you sell on-line [where?].
I got the system at a local general sale auction [in Suffolk] where they'd been put in with all the usual kitchen and furniture tat by a house-clearance company ... the auctioneers and the sellers had no idea of their value; also came with a pair of 'Mission 782's and 'B&W CDM#1 SE's... paid just under £1k for the lot [incl commission], which caused general amazement in the room to everyone apart from me and the underbidder - they were expecting £100 to £150...

:eek:

On a certain infamous auction site :D

Awesome amps - Ive got 4 of the p1's and the C31 pre.

your gonna love them.

Took at look at your system - fantastic!
I am looking forward to hearing them - but first have major logistical job of deconstructing secondary system, and moving to tertiary location [bedroom and study] and reconstructing it, deconstructing primary system and moving to secondary location and reconstructing it, and THEN setting up new primary system ... taking into account blue ray and DVD players, CD players, satellite TV box, 'on-demand' box and three HD TV recorders... plus legacy VCR and tape decks. So with four sets of speakers to connect to them, plus Squeezeboxes [main music sources now], HDMI, co-ax, satellite, Azur 640H Music Server, phone and power cables, I think I've run out of fingers to count them on. Oh, nearly forgot my trusty record deck and the computer and 4Tb hard-drive with all my music on...
... and I can't start anything until the carpet-fitters have been tomorrow morning to do the study.

I don't suppose you'd be surprised to know that I [middle-aged male] live on my own [ie no wire-phobic female in residence]!

Took at look at your system - fantastic!
I am looking forward to hearing them - but first have major logistical job of deconstructing secondary system, and moving to tertiary location [bedroom and study] and reconstructing it, deconstructing primary system and moving to secondary location and reconstructing it, and THEN setting up new primary system ... taking into account blue ray and DVD players, CD players, satellite TV box, 'on-demand' box and three HD TV recorders... plus legacy VCR and tape decks. So with four sets of speakers to connect to them, plus Squeezeboxes [main music sources now], HDMI, co-ax, satellite, Azur 640H Music Server, phone and power cables, I think I've run out of fingers to count them on. Oh, nearly forgot my trusty record deck and the computer and 4Tb hard-drive with all my music on...
... and I can't start anything until the carpet-fitters have been tomorrow morning to do the study.

I don't suppose you'd be surprised to know that I [middle-aged male] live on my own [ie no wire-phobic female in residence]!

Do you really need all that gear lol?

Unfortunately I don't like throwing anything away [or selling it:(] and I do like to have access to my music wherever I am in the house ...
People used to ask the same question when I had [room for] three grand pianos... one was French, one German, one English - they all played differently and they each suited different music.
Reminds me of the famous anecdote: "why do you have 34 different versions of 'Tosca'?" - answer - "Because there aren't 35"! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom