1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp Confusion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by WYNIR0, Sep 24, 2004.

1. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Guys,

Just looking for your opinions really. Some time in the next month I'll be buying my 1st AV amp. It'll be used with Kef coda 7s front and rear, a Kef coda 80 center speaker and probably a Kef PSW2500 sub. The DVD will be a pioneer 575A.

My problem is this, I have very, very limited time available for many reasons (which I won't go into here) and so it's highly unlikely that I will be able to hear the amp before I buy it (I know, I know but there it is) . I'm pretty much sure that I want either the Sony STB 795 or the Denon 1905, with the Denon slightly in the lead. But 2 things worry me :

(1) Will the Denon have enough poke with 85W per channel or would the Sony at 100Wpc be a better choice? I'm not a volume freak but I don't want the Denon if it's going to struggle.

(2) From the reviews both amps are good with multi channel music but neither is at it's best with Stereo music, fair enough but I can't tell from the reviews which of the two is the better stereo performer?, my gut says it'd be the Denon with their Hi-fi pedigree, anyone else think otherwise?

On a purely pointless level, I also much prefer the look of the Denon. :blush:

So any advice, comments much appreciated. Anyone actually auditioned either amp?

2. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Bump for the weekend.

Please help this clueless Dolt :lease:

3. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ended up opting for the 1905, i then compared it to the 1705 and since i didn't want 7.1 (nor 6.1) i ended up going for the 1705 as they seem fairly identical.
    I do like it a lot, although it might be a little bright. it is paired with the acoustic energy evo 3s

4. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, what's it like with stereo music?

5. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The Sony STR-DB790 which is the predecessor to the 795 came out favourably in a blind listening test in Hi-Fi Choice compared to a range of stereo and AV amps. Have a search, there was a PDF around with it on.

The Sony has an Analogue direct mode which powers down the video and other unneeded gubbins bits. I find it makes an appreciable difference even with my low end kit.