1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp compatibility with HDTV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shuggy, Feb 27, 2005.

1. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am a little worried. I intend to purchase a yamaha rx 750 amp as it gets reasonable reviews. However I have a dvi/hdcp input telly. At present I can use component video connection-OK. But when sky hd comes on line it needs a hdmi/hdcp connection. How can i route this digital signal through my amp back to this digital connection on my tv. If I send video straight to my TV and sound via the amp I will surely have a lip sync delay. Any advice or will I need to buy another amp which loops dvi/hdmi video through.-Sounds expensive. Any advice from the more experienced forum members would be appreciated. :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Basically you can't put HDMI/DVI through a receiver that does not have these connections. Very few, if any, receivers do have HDMI/DVI at the moment as it is still very new. As for lip sync, well this should not be a problem as many receivers (don't know the specs of the one you are looking at) have an audio delay feature to correct the error. If it does not have the delay feature then putting video through the receiver will not prevent the error anyway.

My advise is to demo the receiver, and if you like the sound then buy it. Worry about HD Sky as and when it arrives as many things could change before it does!

Mark.

3. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for your advice. It is very pragmatic and therefore worth listening to. You cant blame me for seeking the holy grail of a piece of kit which does everything for little cash!A boy has to try
    Thanks again
    Hugh

4. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Tha Panasonic SAXR70 Receiver has HDMI. It is available for around £313, and looks very good. Considering going for one myself and pairing with a S97 HDMI DVD player to go with my Sharp G4 LCD TV (which has DVI)

Regards,

5. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My only concern is it is also a dvd player and I already have a dvd player recorder. Will the combo not decrease the quality of the amp. Further will it carry the hdcp signal all the way through to the telly(Loewe spheros 37hd/dr+). Why are you buying another DVD player as well

6. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Shuggy - No, the SAXR70 is indeed a dedicated receiver (and not an all in one / DVD player)

The S97 is a dedicated DVD player.

Both have HDMI scokets (the SAXR70 has both an HDMI in and an HDMI out). Not an expert, but assume that unless your DVD recorder has HDMI / DVI socket, then you won't get the full benfit of passing full un-diluted digital signal through the amp to the Loewe.

Regards,

7. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry came across a duff review which said it was. It seems that,though we are using different TV hardware, we are trying to achieve the same digital and HD convergence set up. A concern I have is over lip syncing if your amp doesnt have a delay. Perhaps we need to think about this- some threads on the amplifier forum. I must say technologically, aesthetically and price wise this seems the one for me if I can put the issue and hdcp compatability to rest
    shuggy

8. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Further I will be able to plug sky hd straight into the amp, but as only one input I will use digital co axial for my DVD output so see no reason to get the dvd player as well as sky HD will be more crucial.
    This site really cuts me up ! hr ago I had no answers but now Im whinging it only has one HDMI input. Well there is no pleasing some folks

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The new denon flagship has plenty of digital video inputs and outputs, but it is rather pricey.

10. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    anyone else know of amps to interact with fully digital televisions?

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    How about the Marantz 8500, not sure whether the DVI is HDCP though?