1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp circuits still powered up w/headphones?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by magellanic, Aug 23, 2004.

1. magellanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am currently using a Denon PMA-250SE amplifier, I like to keep it powered on 24 hours a day because I have been told this reduces strain on components and gets rid of the "warm up" time.

At night I use a pair of headphones (plugged directly into the amp.) to avoid disturbing others, I usually leave the phones plugged into until the following morning. When I plug the phones into the amplifier, the main speakers are muted and there is a click from within the amplifier.

I would like to know, when connecting the headphones to the amplifier, does the click indicate the powering down the amplifier circuits?

If so, then leaving the amp. on constantly is pointless because the circuits are not powered up. Consequently, when I disconnect the phones in the morning, the internal components are put under strain as they are warmed up from cold.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup: