1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by just240, Sep 30, 2003.

1. just240

just240
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of upgrading my old yamaha amp. I've narrowed the choice down to either a Denon 3803 or a Pioneer ax5i. I've recently bought a denon dvd2900 & sony plasma ke32ts2. The pioneer amp is more expensive & does seem to offer a few more options, but is it worth it? Bi-amping for instance? I know the denon is capable of video up switching but I'm already running RGB connections into the plasma from my game consoles. My speaker set-up is Kef Ref 3(F) Kef 100(c) Kef Ref 1(R) + Xbox, Ps2, & GC.
    Any help/advice or alternative suggestions would be appreciated, as i haven't auditioned either amp yet.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I don't think any of them amp's will drive them speakers- especially the Kef Reference 3's!!

IMO I think you'll either to get something like the HK 8500 AV amp, Onkyo 989... or a decent multi-channel poweramp (at least 150W, high current)

The Kef's are 4Ohm.. I doubt the Denon 3803 can handle them.

3. just240

just240
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been told that the Pioneer will switch between 4,6,&8 ohms having said that i've also been told by 2 separate dealer that the denon is also switchable between 6, & 8 ohms but would be fine to run the kefs ....?????????????

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if the Denon doesn't have a switch to 4 Ohm... I would say No.

The Pioneer amp specs look well naff IMO

100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1 kHz)

Ok- 100W x 2. Take note that no spec is given when all channels are driven. Also THD spec..that's pretty high. And the 1khz is a test tone at 1khz. Music comprises of full range audio- not at single 1khz tone.

I have Kef Reference speakers myself (2.2 mains and 200 centre) I would not like to use budget gear with these (I use high quality 2 channel 100W poweramps)

Even though my amps look on paper (the same) as that Pioneer- they aren't. Specs are..

100W RMS x 2 into 8Ohm, 0.05%THD, 20hz-20,000khz, at rated output (100%) 45 amperes peak to peak current.

[edit] Also decent amps double the output every half load change-

100W into 8Ohm
    200W into 4Ohm

Now as long as the figures into 4Ohm load is higher then it shows the amp is a good one. I know my amps delivery 170W into 4Ohm.. I see no figures for the Pioneers!

If the 4 Ohm figure is lower than the 8Ohm figure (ie 80W) AVOID! It shows the amp has low current ability.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    It doesn't have a switch. Kef Reference speakers deserve beefier amplification, ideally a Denon A10SE,A11SR, A1SR etc if you are looking at Denon integrateds.

6. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO not even a A1SR is enough. My 1SE was not.

You need power amps to really give them a chance to sing. Let them see 300wtt at 4 ohms of high current and they'll astound you.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey. Do you think I'll be OK with my three Audiolab 8000PX poweramps? (front three biamped) Two on the 2.2's, one for the 200C

Room is pretty small so not like I drive them hard.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to disagree, especially when the A1SR and A1SE's both deliver well over 300 watts into 4 ohms with (around) 0.4% THD.

Ideally I'd say these are the minimum for the Kef Reference speakers, I doubt anything else of lower cost will be able to drive them properly (maybe an RMB1075 - but I doubt it).

Certainately wouldn't pair them with a 3803 or an AX5i, as - quite simply - they're not reference amps, and have comparitively poor quality power amplification.

Nathan - the amps you're using should be OKAY I'd imagine, but - as with most speakers - they'll sing better with something a little more substantial powering them.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy- have you owned a pair of Kef 3.3's and a Denon A1SR or 1SE?

The other Nathan has.

I'm not so sure the Denon AV Amp's are superior to mine either, if that's what you're also implying.

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No nathan I'm not - I'm suggesting they'd be the minimum (the Denon AV amps) for the kefs.

But by the same and all speaker tokens, they benefit from something better :)

11. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nad or HK will have no worries.

T752 ---- T762 no probs.
    Good with music 2