1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp choice question?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by lee bee, Jan 14, 2005.

1. lee bee

lee bee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Looking for advice on amplifier choice for my av8, 2 x p1`s for my front speakers , 1 x p35/3 for center and rears. or p7 bi amped for fronts{4 channels] and the other 3 channels for the center and rears. my speakers are b&w n804 fronts, 805 rears and htm2 center ,my music is more important than movies ,but ive owned a A32 and know the difference bi amping made when i added a p35, so how does the 4 channels 0f the p7 stand up against a pair of p1`s for my front speakers ?

2. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you didn't ask for non-Arcam amp suggestions but here's another idea. Based in part on the very long and detailed IAR Widescreen review of the AV8 and DV27a by Peter Moncrieff (http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/WidescreenIAR.pdf), I chose a McCormack HT-5 five-channel amp to pair with my AV8. The reviewer's feeling was that the McCormack's trebles were more "sweet and airy" compared to a slightly more solid-state crispness from the P7, and that the McCormack made the AV8 and DV27a even more "transparent and revealing." He liked the P7 combo too, but found the McCormack an even better match.

I too found that the pairing was quite excellent, and had that setup for the last few months. What really made the system amazing was adding a McCormack DNA-500 for the fronts and using the HT-5 for the center and rears. WOW, that is some beautiful and powerful sound. It truly blows me away. And now I can power my Zone 2 speakers or bump up to 7 channel one of these days.

I believe McCormack amps are available in the UK, so I hope I am not wasting my [virtual] breath in your case. Try and find a dealer and see if you can check them out.

That said, I have heard the P7 with an AV8 and it is a wonderful combination. I have not heard the P1s in action, but I imagine they would give you an even better sound in your alternative combination. In fact, the person I bought the DNA-500 from used a P35 to power the center and rear channels. That too sounded very nice.

Good luck and happy listening whichever way you go.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    What % are you using this for as far as movies/music is concerned? If you're thinking of using it a lot for movies then I'd seriously think about bi-amping the centre as imho this is probably the most important channel in AV. As for which amp to use, I've not heard the P1 but do have a lot of experience of the P7 (I have 2) and it is a great amp, probably not in the same league as the Krells, Brystons etc of this world but still very good. Voltron's suggestion of the McCormack amo is a good one, I heard, iirc, a stereo one a few years ago and it was very good. Is matching aesthetics important to you?
    I'd be inclined to have a P7 that bi-amps the front 3 channels (same tonality then) and a P35 to power rears.
    I power my front 3 channels all tri-amped from the P7's, the rears bi-amped from the remaining channels of the P7 and the surrounds by a P35. It all gets a bit tricky with interconnects and speaker cables though :)

If you can try to get a demo at home so that your equipment and accoustics will tell you what you like.

HTH
    John