Amp choice advice needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by l3bowski, Feb 13, 2009.

1. l3bowski

l3bowski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Hopefully there are some nice folk out there who can point me in the right direction and finally help me make a decision.

I am looking to upgrade from my all in one sony system which is years old, to a new seperates system. I have been looking around for an AV amp which I can use for both movies and music playback. I would probably say that the split between movies and music is about 40/60 with 60% of my listening being music.

I want a good all round amp and have been looking at the Onkyo TX-SR606, but have been reading about the alternatives such as the Denon AVR1909. The budget for the amp is around the £300 - £350 mark.

I also need some advice as to speakers to go with these types of amps as I have also been reading about loads of variations. Budget for speakers will be around the £300 - £400 mark. I already have the wiring running through my ceiling and walls, and would ideally like a speaker system which is small enough to fit into the corners of the room as they are at the moment. I think discreet is the effect I am going for.

Any information or views is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    James