Amp choice advice (Cambridge 550A, 351A, Onkyo 9030)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Grum2, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Grum2

Grum2
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

i have three models that fits my price range (2nd hand, thus i have limited choice). Cambridge Audio 550A, 351A and Onkyo A-9030.

At first glance it looks like 550A is slightly older than the other two amps, while the 351A seems spec wise to be a bit lower than the 550A and 9030 (60w vs 45w), and has a DAC (not important as i have a DAC). I've read generally good things about all 3 amp

Assuming similar price, which model would you recommend ? Would it be correct to say 550A in terms of pure music performance is a little better than the newer 351A ? How do you see it against the onkyo 9030 ?

To give some background, I have stopped using hifi gears during the last 7 years, but as my kids are getting older, i'm trying to come back to the hobbey. I didn't yet pick a speaker, but once i go with an amp, i shouldn't have too much problem finding a good match second hand.

Thx