Amp/Cd Player to suit Monitor Audio RS6?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Matt B, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Matt B

Matt B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I hope I have this in the right section? So at the moment I have a decent-ish Home cinema setup consisting of a Yamaha RX-v2700 amp and the Full Monitor Audio RS6 cinema setup.

I love the way it sounds for films etc but to be honest the music quality is not fantastic. What I'm after is a dedicated CD player and possibly another amp purley for music without spending the earth (Circa £500)

My question is:
    1) what to buy
    2) the best way to configure my system so I can have the RS6 floorstanders plugged into both systems?
    3) any other advice

Thanks in advance chaps.

Matt B:thumbsup:

2. Matt B

Matt B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also forgot to add that if I am to spend a bit of money on the system it needs to sound much better.... :D

If I spend another £500ish quid and it sounds not much different to the Yammy and the DVD playing the CD's then my better half will want to punch my lights out....

:smashin:

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Top notch CD playback at £500.... look no further than the Rega Apollo, IMO nothing else can touch it until you're spending a good chunk more.

A dedicated, integrated amp would help with the stereo playback also... but you'd need to spend a reasonable chunk again!

4. Matt B

Matt B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scott,

am I right in thinking that without a decent stereo amp then spending money on a decent CD player is pointless? Rubbish in/ Rubbish out etc.

What kind of money would I need to be spending to get a decent sound from the RS6's?

Thanks again all.

5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    You could chuck the Yamaha out (or sell it) and buy an Arcam Solo 5.1... but that's maybe a tad excessive :D BUt then again buying a good CD player and trying it won't be so bad... i mean, the amp you have isn't exactly shoddy by any stretch - you may be surprised!

If you want to keep the RS6 plugged in to both then you'll need to use an integrated amp to power the RS6's and connect this to the Yamaha via the pre outs.... when you want stereo, just turn on the integrated, when you want AV you have to have both on as you'll be using the power amp stage of the integrated amp - this is how i run my system.

Something that works well with RS6's, i'd be looking at Rega, Arcam or maybe Primare... these should prevent brightness kicking in too much, but you'll probably be spending a similar £400 - £500 to get a good stereo sound to do justice to your system.

6. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    What DVD player are you using ?

I'm not sure an Arcam Solo 5.1 will sound any better than your Yammy amp - different maybe but possibly not better, I pitch the solo 5.1 at the low end Arcam range for stereo.

When you listen to music do you put the yammy into direct mode which cuts out all the electronics and only uses the front left and right - if not try this and see if you like the sound.

Then from here you can decide on an amp but once you identify what you dont like we can help with the CD player choice. IF you liek the amp sound it could be you could add a DAC to your DVD player to improve the sound and use the stereo input on your amp (a much cheaper and neater solution).

I have the Rega Apollo and love it but i use it with an Arcam AVR350 and rate it as highly as a good £8-900 amplifier (I didn't like the sound from my old yamaha 750SE for stereo but that was down to presentation - too clinical).

It could be as simple as getting a more stereo firendly AV amp - Arcam and MA go well together (I've had loads).

7. iocat

iocat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the RS6's with Cambridge Audio 840a amp and 840c Cd player. To be honest its a little on the bright side for me personally, can be tiring to listen to especially if loud so I would look to match up with warmer sounding equipment - perhaps Arcam as suggested though I haven’t heard them myself. I too found them fab for tv use though.

8. Trixster

Trixster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm using a pair of cheep Audiolab amps to run a pair of RS6s and I love the results. In all, an 8000s and 8000a (subsequently modded) only set me back £250 all in. Coupled with a Beresford DAC they don't sound too bright at all.