AMP can drive headphones at FULL volume all of a sudden??.. Strange

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by HeisenbergerHifi, Jul 13, 2018.

1. HeisenbergerHifi

HeisenbergerHifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey guys,

So just a quick rundown. For night time listening I have my HD600s plugged into my Cyrus 6vs2 Amp. And I listen to my music off the Xbox one > SMSL M7 Dac > Cyrus Amp

The the past 2 months I couldnt get passed 12oclock on the dial on the Cyrus Amp before my ears would start bleeding from loudness and distortion. This evening however.. Im able to turn the dial from 6 to 6 ... And.. Well I dont even know what it means. Im concerned about it being a weird connection issue and that my ears are going to explode any second because itll go full blast again or something

Any ideas peeps?

Love Heisen

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    If you're getting wild fluctuations of sound then that is more than likely an amp problem. A breakdown in connection would result in possible cutouts but the volume should remain stable. Best get it checked out before damage is done to the 'phones.

3. HeisenbergerHifi

HeisenbergerHifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    no flucuations luckily. Which is why im really confused to be honest..

Just a stable volume control. But able to turn it up full blast for the headphones. Another thing to note is. When I turn the headphones off on the amp to drive the speakers (86dB, 80W Floorstanders), they are normal and cant go above 14:00 on the dial without being waaaay too loud...

4. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    If no fluctuations, then I would think a failure in the switching electronics, and I would advise returning it to Cyrus , for sorting out. On a less advanced amplifier, I would have suggested that the resistors used to attenuate the voltage going to the headphone socket had failed, but Cyrus make reference to using switching electronics for muting speakers etc, and I feel that might well be the problem here...

5. HeisenbergerHifi

HeisenbergerHifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh dear. Sounds scary. So the case youre referring to wouldnt be the opposite then?

(Hyperthetically speaking) If maybe volumes would be too high for headphones because the switcher for the speakers to headphones wouldnt be working properly. So the amp is driving the headphones with higher voltage still.

Hopefully im making sense here. Basically what Im meaning is, if it was a switcher problem. Then wouldnt the headphones be being driven too loud rather than not loud enough? And vise versa, wouldnt the speakers be struggling because it hasnt switched from the outage correctly for headphones, so the speakers would be quieter.. Not "basically" explained at all lol

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    At 300 ohm and 98dB sensitivity the Senns are relatively hard to drive. If the volume is such that they are blowing your ears off then that is certainly not good. If I plugged my Oppos at 32 ohm into the amp it would probably destroy them.

7. HeisenbergerHifi

HeisenbergerHifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeh that is true. 300ohm headphones arent exactly the easiest to drive. Just strange.. Im sure I remember the headphones not being able to go passed 3oclock MAX on the Cyrus amp a few days ago. And now its capable (not comfortable) but capable of going to max volume (wouldnt keep it there).

Think theres a mix of confusion too because some music thats streamed seems to be lower volume that other songs. For example "Dances with wolves" will be playing. And I turn the volume up to around 2oclock. But then the next track "Nightwalk - Spencer Brown" (that plays afterwards automatically) will be way too loud.. Annoying to say the least

8. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Ok. In most traditional amplifiers, the head phone socket is driven from the actual output from the amplifier. But with two modifications... 1. The pointy end of the jackplug,opens a circuit and stops the voltage getting to the speaker terminals therefore muting the speakers, and in addition 2. there is a combination of resistors in the jackplug which reduces the voltage going into the headphones. . In crude terms the loudspeaker is expecting a peak voltage of 30 to 40 volts , and head headphones would not want more than 3 to 4 volts maybe less. It would depend on which end of the resistors had failed as to whether you would get excess volume or reduced volume.
    The manual for the Cyrus refers to a different way of behaving in order to reduce the amount of switching in the high power path. They use electronic switching not simple electrical switching. It is for that reason that I am suggesting you contact them directly.

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    It does seem, going on your description, that you listen at very high levels, or rather the amp is turned up to what should be a very high level. At the moment I just use the onboard headphone amp of my Marantz SACD player which gives 30mV at 32 ohm which is a fraction of what most stereo amps will output. The dial goes from a 1 o'clock to 11 o'clock position with no gain switches.

I have three pair of headphones, two at 32 ohm and one at 46 ohm. Even with the 46 ohm pair I've never had the volume dial up further than 5 o'clock. Marantz claim that the headphone amp is designed to be able to drive 600 ohm headphones.

10. HeisenbergerHifi

HeisenbergerHifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I
    I know what you mean. My old cd player used to have a headphone jack linked to the onboard dac. But I just enjoy the Cyrus warmth so stuck to that. Although the detail for the cd player direct or even mre SMSL dac headphone amp jack, both detailed. Just get a littlw bit bright for my liking

... I dont know whats going on all in all. Maybe Im just going deaf! :rotfl::facepalm:

Think im gonna get in touch with Cyrus to be on the safe side anyway