AMP/ARC/TV/ 5.1 issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rourkey76, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Rourkey76

Rourkey76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, i'm not really sure what is causing my problem so maybe one of you guys can help!

I have a LG SR906SB receiver (with ARC) and a Panasonic VT30 tv and a Panasonic BDT310 blu ray player with dual HDMI out

I originally plugged the blu ray player into the receiver but could only get PCM2.0 which I assumed was to do with the TV saying it was only 2.0, so I plugged the blu ray player's HDMI1 output direct into the TV and the HDMI2 out into the receiver (set to sound only) but I still only get PCM2.0.

Now the weird thing is that if I unplug the HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver, even while watching a film, all of a sudden I get the decoded HD PCM 5.1 from the blu ray player!

So basically to get HD sound when I watch a film I have to unplug the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV, not the end of the world as the sockets are on the side but still it's bugging the hell out of me! Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Turn off hdmi control on reciever and/or player. Also is there a setting in the receiver that has a amp or amp+TV setting. If so set to amp.

3. Rourkey76

Rourkey76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PSM but while I can turn off the Viera link on both the TV and the blu ray player (and neither change helps) I can not seem to turn off the HDMI control for the receiver, the manual mentions "control for HDMI" and even says it needs to be on for one feature but there is no option to turn it off!

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,872
    Connect the player to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver to your TV via HDMI.

There's a setting within the HDMI settings onboard your receiver that relates to HDMI audio output. Ensure this setting is set to just AMP and not AMP + TV.

5. Rourkey76

Rourkey76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dante, I've looked through all the settings and the manual but cant see any such option, where have you seen it mentioned? thanks

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,872
    Every HDMI equipped AV receiver has such a setting and there will be such a setting in the HDMI settings of your receiver. You fail to mention the make or model of your receiver so cannot be any more specific than I already have been.

7. Rourkey76

Rourkey76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dante Sorry I mentioned it in the OP its the LG SR906SB, if anyone knows where the setting is would be really grateful

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    On the setup menu on point 6 do you have this set to stdby on or off? If on try setting to off and seeing if that cures the issue.

9. Rourkey76

Rourkey76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PSM, have tried both settings to no avail, I think that option is for whether you want the AV receiver to pass through HDMi when the receiver is in standby ie you want to use the TV speakers.