1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp and speaker pairing question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bushfire, Jun 29, 2005.

1. bushfire

bushfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help?

I have a pair of Jamo E550 speakers that says on back panel impedance 4ohms. Used that with Denon PVA555R for while and suddenly the amp died (ie nothing happens when I power on, not even the red light shows up).

Went and bought a Cambridge Audio a5 without much checking simply because I was in a hurry to replace Denon. Realise it says speaker impedance is 6-8ohms. Went ahead and connected the pair of jamo to this amp, and music sounds quite good, actually a lot better than with Denon at similar volumes.

Am I risking blowing up the new amp with this pairing? Or is that not a problem?

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There is a potential risk when the amp is operating at near its maximum output.

The speakers (because of there design) require more current from the amp and hence places more strain on the power supply.

I would suggest that you should become familiar with the amp and speaker combination before exploring “how far you can go”. Any sign of excessive heat or speaker distortion, would indicate you have gone too far, and the volume needs to be turned down a notch or two.

3. bushfire

bushfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much. I will keep volumes low for now..no sign of heat yet though, running for few hours now..wonder why Jamo makes this cheap speaker only compatible with expensive amps that can power it.