Question Amp and speaker advice required

RJay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have the Marantz PM6006 UK Ed. hooked up to QA 3050's.
I am wanting to get rid of floorstanders and have standmounts instead.
I was thinking of the KEF LS50's and my question is will my amp be adequate enough?
If not, any recommendation for standmounts?
Unfortunately, as im in Jersey, there are no decent retailers where i can audition.
Budget of around £800.

Thanks
Ray

It's a bit of a tough one as the LS50 are very accurate and do produce a very different sound experience to what you are experiencing with your Q Acoustics. So, yes they will sound different, but how different in your room is probably hard for anyone to answer.

I'm sure you will hear the finesse that the LS50's deliver plus the way it produces bass together with many different levels in between, but I'm also sure you'll hear the differences from a forestland to a standmount

Although you are over the water, I would say, if you can find anywhere to hear them, that would be the only true way to fully appreciate them, but it will also tell you whats removed from them to when pitching them floorstands

Thanks for the reply Shane.
Unfortunately, there is no where to audition them, so i may have to take a punt and buy blind.
Would the amp i have be adequate?
Also, thoughts on the B&W 606 or 707?
Thanks
Ray

As I've not hear the B&W's it impossible for me to comment them.

Regarding your amp, The Kef's work well with many amps including your and Kef's beauty is that they will also bring more when you upgrade.

I still say however that it'll be a tough one as they speakers are so different in size. My gut feeling it you should certainly hear what the Kef's bring to the table for the better though

The KEFs are very musical and have rightly been lauded for that ability. They will suit the signature of the Marantz and depending on the size of your room should work OK. They will though thrive on power to be able to get the best out of them and for this the Marantz may just be on the weak side. The combination would probably be fine in my room because of it's size and the fact that I don't tend to listen at high volume. So I would say room size is key here for the combination.

Thanks Gibsy,
I dont have a large room and my listening position is about 3m away with the speakers being 2.5m apart. With about a meter behind me to the wall.
Ray

Hi all,
I currently have the Marantz PM6006 UK Ed. hooked up to QA 3050's.
I am wanting to get rid of floorstanders and have standmounts instead.
I was thinking of the KEF LS50's and my question is will my amp be adequate enough?
If not, any recommendation for standmounts?
Unfortunately, as im in Jersey, there are no decent retailers where i can audition.
Budget of around £800.

Thanks
Ray

LS50's love current, I would not run them on anything under 100w...

QA 3050 has considerable higher sensitive, to get the same max spl with kef ls50 you need atleast 2x200 watt if sensitive is about what they are rated at.

I have a Marantz PM6006 and speakers rated at 85 db and i can play loud enough but 92 db would make them alot louder with the amp, it would without any doubt be party loud

If it's any help I'm running the 606s with amp of similar rating (cyrus 3i- 50wpc/marantz 6006 - 45wpc) in a room of similar dimensions.

Can't fault the sound and never felt the need for anymore power with the volume never going past 10 O'clock.

been out of the buying hi fi game for a bit but i listened to some dynaudio emit m20's yesterday..as i'm looking at downsizing my big kef iq90's....plus i'm finding them sounding a bit harsh these days..especially when turning them up a bit .

they are about 600 quid stand mounts...was looking at similar b and w's but guy pointed me to these as when comparing the 2 he reckoned a lot of customers went with the dynaudio's....didnt have time to listen to both

never l heard any before but apparently the BBC used to use them in their studios

...anyway sounded great very detailed with highs not harsh at all and very tight bass...

probably not the best lookers out there but dont think you'll find many bad reviews

Dynaudio Emit M20 need a big amplifier since there are not that efficient

Also if the volume range of the amp is very limited, you might get some distort at almost any level if it's already loud at 9 o'clock missmatch between how loud the signal (gain) that comes in to the amp and ho much you need to turn the volume up to make music loud.

Renerally the dynaudio need an amp with lots of power and something that is not distorting ar 10 o'clock Marantz PM6006 is bare minimum but only because it's 4 ohm speakers (2x60watt)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom