1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp and Source Price Ratio

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The_Mole, Apr 17, 2005.

1. The_Mole

The_Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying a new A/V Amp and DVD player. What I dont want is to waste money on incompatible systems; ie where one system will outperform the other. I have heard that there is a general rule when buying sources to go with your Amp and that is that the source should cost roughly twice as much. This apparently is not set in stone but is used as a general buying guide. Can anyone tell if this is true, or if not, can anyone enlighten me?

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There are lots of schools of thought on this matter, including the principle of the source should cost the most due to 'rubbish in, rubbish out'. Others would also say that you should spend equal proportions of your budget on each aspect. For AV it is complicated further by the fact that you need at least 5 speakers and possibly a sub and it might seem ridiculous to spend twice as much on a dvd player than the total amount for all the speakers.

Assuming you are on a relatively tight budget (say £500 or so) then i think it is quite reasonable to spend the majority say £300-350 on the amp. People may disagree with me here but i think there are many decent budget dvd players about at the moment. If you are looking for CD/SACD/DVDA playback as well then that might well change things.

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the best choice these days is to go digital for sound hookup, in which case the all-important D-A conversion is in the AV processor, and the sound quality is not much influenced by the source. Good modern amplifier designs should in principle all produce much the same signal to the speakers, but the room, the speakers and the setting up make big differences.

I've actually sold my expensive DVD player in favour of a cheapie (because of HDCP). In fact it costs less then one tenth of my AV amp price. The main sacrifice hasn't been sound quality, but ergonomics of the player.

I'd have to disagree with your idea of spending double on the DVD player; I think it would only have applied when all DVD players were expensive, and if you were using the analogue audio outputs from the DVD player (5-10 years ago?).

I would buy a cheap player and put my money into the AV amp and speakers. You'll get better sound with radio and tv via freeview/cable/sky and digital sound out from your PC too.

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Every component is equaly important, the system will be as bad as the weakest link, IMHO... :lesson:

I would start with speakers that fit your room and taste, both looks and sound, than get an amplifier that can handle the speakers, then get the best player you can afford, at least in the same price range...

The player, even used only as transport, does make a difference, but if the receiver is budget you can get a better sound using its DACs, thats what I did while I still had a receiver... :rolleyes:

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    A very interesting question - and one that has no definitive answer. Whilst the argument of ‘rubbish in, rubbish out’ is a valid one, many sources these day are highly component. At the end of the day, there is only a marginal increase in performance in dvd players once you pass £400 imo. Obviously some of these players are better than others with music, so if stereo is important you may want to spend extra.

For multichannel systems, I would spend the majority of the money on speakers (~50% of your budget) with the rest split between the amp & source. Getting the speakers ‘right’ is imo the most difficult. There are so many considerations for speakers - room reverb, positioning, aesthetics etc. I would firstly concentrate on getting speakers that ‘fit’ your room well and then, equally important, getting an amp that goes well with your speakers.

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think it would be best to start with the output and work backwords, start with the speakers you like and fit into your enviroment then get an amplifier that can power them and well. Speakers and amplifers combined with the room acustics play the largest effect on sound (obviously) so a home demo is the best you could do but you'd pay for it as retailers that do them generaly sell products at rrp.
    Getting speakers that match or compliment each other i.e. bright speakers, with a warm amp to make a more neutral sound compared to bright with bright which would sound good for a few minutes but would probably give you a head ache after a very short while.

Also buy an amp that has the features your after, if you want multichannel audio your gonna have to go analouge there (direct from 6 ch out from dvd player i.e. pio 575) or spend lots of money to get a high end DVD player with digital out via firewire or denon link. You'd have to have the player from the same company as the amp in this instance. Eitherway your amp is going to have to support the digital format that the dvd player/sacd/dvd audio player outputs.

What video output are you using, projector, crt tv, plasma. As for a crt tv (even at 36 inch) I doubt you'd notice much difference from a cheapish branded dvd player via RGB scart compared to one costing many times more. If your using a plasma or a projector then digital out may provide a big bost in performance especialy if the player has processing technology to upscale to a psedo HD and a more expensive dvd source may be worth the money as you could actualy see the difference .

Once you have your speakers and amp setup you can test different sources and see which ones you like the most, shops like sevenoaks will usualy give a home demo so you can compare them. You may find that different sources give little if any percievable difference, espectialy if your using digital conection for surround audio (i.e. DD and DTS) and RGB scart to a crt tv.