1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amp and multi channel amp advice needed....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cameronl, May 29, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi all, I was hoping that some of you guys could help me with the following.....sorry in advance for the long rant :)

I'll be building a new house next year and so will be installing a sound server into it (I'm hoping to be able to afford the Linn Index system) but when it comes to high end amps I feel like a newbie. :)

Assuming the salesman is telling a half truth and the Index system is equal to roughly a 2000 pound Linn cd player - what type of price will i have to pay for an amp so that it isn't a bottleneck in the system?

I'm used to 5/6ch dsp stereo mode (with my yammy 630) as I'm more into home cinema than high quality stereo. In a large room does 5ch stereo sound better if you are not in the 'sweet spot'?

If I got a good stereo amp, could I use my yammy 630 for playing sacd/dvd-audio as long as the decoding was done on the player - or will the yammy limit the potential of my dvd audio player no matter how good it is at decoding?

And lastly, if I get a better multi channel amp - will it play much better 5ch stereo?

In other words, along with getting a good stereo amp, should I replace my yammy for a much better multi-channel amp?

This is for the lounge and won't be used for anything other than music. I dont think I will be connecting the multi channel amp to the linn as the linn only does stereo so it won't need any type of analogue bypass.

thanks ;)

CaM

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    I'm assuming a 2 grand Linn cd player is pretty good. Maybe to the extent that no single integrated AV amp will be good enough. You may have to look at a processor like a Tag or Lexicon plus 5,6 or 7 channels of power amplification. We're talking thousands for the processor and thousands for the power amps.
    I can answer your other questions, I'm afraid.