Amp and Dac for Beyerdynamic Dt770 80ohms

Steven

Senior Moderator
Budget? Looking for something powered by usb port or do not mind wall powered? Combined dac + amp or do not mind separate units?

rdb85

Novice Member
I dont really have a budget, but starting from £100. Wall powered maybe a better option and either combined or separate.

Steven

Senior Moderator
These are not personal recommendations,

I would try to demo
- Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS
- Fiio E07k
- Fiio E17k
- Fiio E10k

And if you can find a deal
- Audio quest dragonfly
- geekout

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Aune T1 mk2

A cheap desktop valve amp, but it punches above it's weight. Can be had for around 110-120 quid shipped (Amazon).

The stock valve tube is weak, but there are cheap replacements. The best tube for this amp cost about the same as the unit itself (Amprex 7308). It's a beast though.

It drives my AKG 550 to silly volumes with ease. Won't work with serious headphones though, but as you want cheap, you won't own serious headphones...so moot point.

A decent valve amp that'll drive most headphones would be a Bottlehead Crack. This can be had for around 300 quid.

Other alternatives are Little Dot MK1, MK2 and MK3. MK1 and 2 can be had for 100-150. Also available via Amazon.

If you prefer solid state, then look at the likes of NAD and Audiolab M-DAC.

Last edited:

rdb85

Novice Member
Aune T1 mk2

A cheap desktop valve amp, but it punches above it's weight. Can be had for around 110-120 quid shipped (Amazon).

The stock valve tube is weak, but there are cheap replacements. The best tube for this amp cost about the same as the unit itself (Amprex 7308). It's a beast though.

It drives my AKG 550 to silly volumes with ease. Won't work with serious headphones though, but as you want cheap, you won't own serious headphones...so moot point.

A decent valve amp that'll drive most headphones would be a Bottlehead Crack. This can be had for around 300 quid.

Other alternatives are Little Dot MK1, MK2 and MK3. MK1 and 2 can be had for 100-150. Also available via Amazon.

If you prefer solid state, then look at the likes of NAD and Audiolab M-DAC.

Thanks mate. The Beyers are my first headphones really. I am saving for a pair of HD650. So I would probably want something that could work with both.

I dont mind spending a bit of money to obviously get the best from the headphones. But ideally something that I could plug into my PC, as I use Spotify and listen to CD mostly and also available in the UK.

Hixs

Distinguished Member

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Browse ebay...

You'll find most either ship from the US or Russia/Ukraine though.

Getting tubes shipped isn't a massive issue. Tubes from Russia usually arrive within a week to 10 days as they get sent via snail mail.

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The "sold as is" part in the description plus the "I've had these a long time" would make me run for the hills......

rdb85

Novice Member
Right I may leave that one then. Found the Aune on ebay for £130 brand new which is a great deal I think.

dUFFERS10

Ant and Dec for Beyerdynamic...

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I paid like 130-140 shipped to France from a UK based seller.

Thing is with that advert is they're covering their ass with the wording of the advert....

Anyone can claim to have tested their tubes, doesn't mean they have. Ebay is a cesspit IMO, and a place I have avoided for years now.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The Aune only requires driver grade tubes (the cheapest), so don't go paying extra for gold pin, cryo treated blablabla....

The Aune is good, but it's also cheap for a reason. It's not a 'proper' valve amp. The tube in the Aune only buffers the signal being passed through it. A proper valve amp fully utilizes the tube. The Aune is a mix between solid state (amp) and valve tube (dac).

Last edited:

rdb85

Novice Member
It will probably do for now. As I may save for something proper as I am looking at upgrading my hi fi system.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Good luck!

The world of valve amps is 80-90% Chinese brands you've never heard of, and the rest generally come from boutique manufactures in Europe/US with the odd DIY kit here and there.

It's a minefield lol.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
He has Senn 650 so I would assume so ;)

Steven

Senior Moderator
If you have a bigger budget but still trying to keep it sensible then check out garage 1217 amps. Buy pre-made or as a kit

And epiphany acoustics

I realise this is not narrowing down the choices :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series