Amp and AV Reciever Question??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Live Night Owl, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Live Night Owl

Live Night Owl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just wanted to know what the difference between an Amp and an AV Reciever is. What does each one do. Also which one would I be better off buying (I'm looking to buy a surround sound kit).

One more quick question, I was reading that some (or all) AV Receivers have component inputs on the back. But what are these used for? Aren't component inputs used for Video?

2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The term amp is usuallly used to refer to a two channel stereo amp for listening to just music.
    An AV receiver is a multi channel decoder and amplifier used for listening to movies. A few years ago they were referred to as either an AV amp or Av receiver the difference being that the receiver also had a built in tuner for listening to the radio but nowadays people seem to call both them both Av receivers.

You are correct that all AV recivers have some form of video connection on the back of them. This is because most people have more video sources than there are input on the back of their TVs (eg satellite, video, DVD, Xbox, ps2, media centre etc). With this, it means you don't have to reach around the back of the TV every time you want to watch something different. It also means that when changing what you are watching it all becomes a lot simpler eg with av amp and you are watching the satellite but want ot watch a DVD all you need to do is press the dvd button on your av remote and your TV will now display the DVD and you will be able to hear it too.