Amp Advice, Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer...Rotel?

goodwrench

Standard Member
Hey there all. I would like some amp opinions. Before I had Sony HTIB systems. And now I have a Yamaha HTB6130 (I won this in a sales contest) it came with a cheap speaker set up (YHT290). I thought these were crap so I went and bought some KEF iQ5's for the front and and iQ2c for the center.
I was using the Yamaha sub but a found a great deal in a Polk PSW111 on Boxing Day on line, it should be here soon. I am not currently running any rear speakers but am planning on putting some speakers in the ceiling hopefully KEF's but maybe Polks. As for other components I have a Sony BDPS360 Blue ray and a PS3 the slim one, a digital cable box and a Sony KLD46W5100.

I am wondering if a amp upgrade will be worth it, I have one small problem... I only have 14” of depth to play with so the short list is...

Sony STRDN1000, Onkyo TX-SR607or the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K. The pioneer will be tight though. Of course I could go with a Rotel Processor RSP-1570 and a RMB-1565 but that would cost a lot more money. There are a few other processors too but short amps are harder to find.

I am planning on runing a 5.1 set up. I may want to bi-amp or bi-wire the front speakers but I may want to use the Zone 2/S-Air system to run some headphones for my mother in law as she is hard of hearing ( need ot run the headphones and the stereo.

My room is long but I use one end, about 15x15 for my TV/home theater area the rest is a kitchen/eating area. My family watch TV and movies and play the PS3 there.

Thanks for your input.

Garth

C

chachi

If HDMI switching via the processor is not important, a gently-used Rotel 1068 series processor would possibly do you well at a much lower price level ...

goodwrench

Standard Member
Thanks, I would like HDMI switching. Right now I have video switching via HDMI but I have to run seprate audio cables to amp. But I may still set it up like this because I like to be able to watch TV and play the PS3 without the stereo if I want. I really want the new reciver for more/better power and full high def audio for blue ray.

also I just found the integra site...DTR-30.1...

Garth

Last edited:
C

chachi

Ok, then your decision is whether you want the DVD player to decode the TrueHD/etc or the processor.

If the DVD player, then HDMI 1.1 in the proc will suffice otherwise must be HDMI 1.3 to pass the undecoded stream properly to allow the processor to handle decoding/resolving the channels.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom