• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amp advice + recommendations for M-S Aviano set-up

RickDastardly

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

Which amp would go well with a Mordaunt Short Aviano set up consisting of Aviano 6 front l&r, Aviano 5 centre and Aviano 1 surrounds. I would probably also be adding a BK sub to this package rather than the M-S sub.

My budget is ~£500-600.

Would the new Denon AVR-1911 or Onkyo 608 be suitable with these speakers? Would they be a little under powered? I've also heard that the Avianos may be a little warm...would this be ok with a Denon amp?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

RickDastardly

Established Member
I've also heard that the Avianos may be a little warm...would this be ok with a Denon amp?

I think I may have got this wrong :rolleyes:

I am really not sure what make of amp I need to go for to get the best out of the avianos (I've heard that some speakers are fussy about whether they are paired with Denon, Onkyo or some other make of amp). I am also not sure how much money I need to spend to get an amp that can drive these speakers ok.

Please, if someone has any advice they could give me, I would be really grateful.:lease:

Best Regards,
Rich

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha 2065, which last time i checked was about £630 would be ideal.

MS speakers are bright sounding and work well with warm natured amps such as Yamaha.

The Avianos are the replacments for the Avants and the Yamaha 2065 is the replacment for the 1900. I've run the Avants and the 1900 together and they sound great. I'm still using the Avants but with my older Yamaha 1500.

Yamaha RXV2065

RickDastardly

Established Member
Thank you for your reply. :)

Is the yamaha much warmer sounding than the denon 2310? And would this, in your opinion, be a significant step up in quality over the denon? I hadn't really considered a yamaha before now.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply. :)

Is the yamaha much warmer sounding than the denon 2310? And would this, in your opinion, be a significant step up in quality over the denon? I hadn't really considered a yamaha before now.

The Yamaha 2065 originally sold about £950, so is more the equivalent of the Denon 3310, a level up from the 2310.

Denon 3310s seem to be going for about £850 currently and that is the amp that really should be compared with the Yamaha 2065.

As you're getting good front speakers, I think either the Yamaha 2065 or Denon 3310 would be the way to go. They will give you more headroom over the Denon 2310 (or equivalent Yamaha 1065) for driving your current speakers and would allow for better front speakers as a potential future upgrade, wheras the Denon 2310/Yamaha 1065 wouldn't.

Both the yamaha and Denon are regarded as warm natured. Both will work well with the Aviano speakers, and it will be down to personal preference as to which sounds best to you and demoing is the only way to determine that. You're not going to go wrong, whichever you choose between the 2065 or 3310.

boxrick

Prominent Member
Having been looking for a fair old while for the "perfect" match for my own Aviano speakers id say look at something from Marantz.

The current SR6004 is a great option, or the older SR7002 /8002. And in the next few months the 7005 / 6005.

Personally the best receiver i have heard with these speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom