Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Amp Advice Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by raven219, Jun 13, 2001.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
    Ratings:
    +19
    Having a Dolby Pro Logic television I have been doing fine with my current setup of running the front L&R through my audio amp (Arcam Alpha 7) with the rears and centre being driven by the television.

Now I have bought a DVD player and would like to step up to DD or DTS. I cannot really justify a seperate amp which would require me swapping the speakers every time I wanted to listen to a CD.

Can anyone recommend a DD or DTS amp that does a good job with CD playback?

Many thanks.

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +400
    You'll have to spend quite a bit of money on a home theatre amp that'll match the performance of your A7 for 2 channel CD reproduction (probably £600-700).

My main priority was music reproduction so I added a Yamaha E800 processor to do the cinema stuff - which it does superbly.

The Yam drives the centre and rears and feeds your Hi-Fi amp for the main L & R. You'll find a review of the Yamaha on this site which will give you fuller details.

If you love music (which it sounds like you do) - take this route as it truly offers the best of both worlds.

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I can second this, having taken this route myself.
    I've spent the last 2/3 years gradually upgrading my hi-fi to what I have now.
    After purchasing a DVD player/widescreen tv last year, I realised I was missing out from a movie p.o.v by 'just' having stereo sound, but no way could I afford (or particularly want) an av amp that would equal/better my existing kit.
    I became aware of the DSP-E800 around this time, got one, and have been a happy bunny ever since :)
    PS there is one for sale in the classifieds on this site for £175 (rrp £300 i believe :D )