1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp Advice Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by raven219, Jun 13, 2001.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Having a Dolby Pro Logic television I have been doing fine with my current setup of running the front L&R through my audio amp (Arcam Alpha 7) with the rears and centre being driven by the television.

Now I have bought a DVD player and would like to step up to DD or DTS. I cannot really justify a seperate amp which would require me swapping the speakers every time I wanted to listen to a CD.

Can anyone recommend a DD or DTS amp that does a good job with CD playback?

Many thanks.

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    You'll have to spend quite a bit of money on a home theatre amp that'll match the performance of your A7 for 2 channel CD reproduction (probably £600-700).

My main priority was music reproduction so I added a Yamaha E800 processor to do the cinema stuff - which it does superbly.

The Yam drives the centre and rears and feeds your Hi-Fi amp for the main L & R. You'll find a review of the Yamaha on this site which will give you fuller details.

If you love music (which it sounds like you do) - take this route as it truly offers the best of both worlds.

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can second this, having taken this route myself.
    I've spent the last 2/3 years gradually upgrading my hi-fi to what I have now.
    After purchasing a DVD player/widescreen tv last year, I realised I was missing out from a movie p.o.v by 'just' having stereo sound, but no way could I afford (or particularly want) an av amp that would equal/better my existing kit.
    I became aware of the DSP-E800 around this time, got one, and have been a happy bunny ever since :)
    PS there is one for sale in the classifieds on this site for £175 (rrp £300 i believe :D )