Amp advice needed. Pairing with ELAC Carina BS243.4 speakers

user76273

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am picking up a pair of ELAC Carina BS243.4 bookshelf speakers for my home office. I've hit the point of research fatigue and could use some guidance. I am worried about pairing the speakers with something underpowered as I have the same speakers on our main system and they sound amazing (powered by a Yamaha AVR).

System Use

This system will be used while working most likely streaming Spotify. I would like something that can easily switch between a standalone system, to using PC Audio as input, and maybe even headphones (though I doubt I can find anything that checks all those boxes).

Space
Currently office is a 10' x 10' bedroom, but will have more space when we move in ~1 year.

Space in my office is at a premium so I want to avoid some large AVR. This is what has me shying away from the Yamaha receivers like the R-N803 or R-A801, they are just really big.

Research so far

I have looked up and down the line at the following:
  • Yamaha receivers - seems ideal but they lack Airplay2, sounds like they may be updated soon? Lastly, they all share the roughly the same really big footprint.
  • Peachtree nova150 - seems like overkill given they cost the same as the speakers do. Also I'd still need a streamer, RPi3, or something to work as a standalone system.
  • Yamaha WXA-50 - Does not support Airplay2 and looks like it may be discontinued or updated soon? May be underpowered for the speakers I am pairing with it.
  • Bluesound Powernode 2i - This was recommended by Crutchfield, but seems to just be a more expensive WXA-50 without brining much more to the table.
I am not an expert at any of this so please clarify any misconceptions on the above.

Speaker Specs
As far as I know, these speakers benefit from a good amp to power them. In case I am wrong, here are the specs from ELAC:

Type: 2-way Vented box
Woofer: 1 x Aluminum cone 5-1/4″
Tweeter: JET folded ribbon
Crossover frequency: 2.7kHz
Frequency range (IEC 268-5): 46Hz – 30kHz
Sensitivity: 85dB/2.83V/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 30 to 150 wpc
Peak power handling: 100W
Nominal | Minimum impedance: 6 Ohm / 4.8 Ohm
Dimensions (HxWxD): 12.54 x 08.06 x 8.54 (9.72 including speaker terminals)

Budget
Ideally $500, but can justify up to $750-1000 USD if it's justified.

Did you end up getting an amp that you like with them?

I went with the Yamaha WXA-50. I don't miss Airplay 2 as I have been using Pandora or Spotify Connect most of the time. Great sound out of the ELAC speakers. I'd buy this set up again in a heartbeat!

I went with the Yamaha WXA-50. I don't miss Airplay 2 as I have been using Pandora or Spotify Connect most of the time. Great sound out of the ELAC speakers. I'd buy this set up again in a heartbeat!
Nice thanks for the feedback. I am trying to decide between them or the Navis. I use it mostly nearfield but about 30% of the time into a large open room. How far away are you sitting from the Carina's and how large of room are you in?

Tried the Powernode 2i with them, maxed volume was ok sitting but not at all into a larger room. The Yamaha WXA-50 fills the room a lot more and not even to it's maximum.

Tried the Powernode 2i with them, maxed volume was ok sitting but not at all into a larger room. The Yamaha WXA-50 fills the room a lot more and not even to it's maximum.
How are the BS243.4 Carina playing in the large room (how large is the room?)? Can they play loud with the Yamaha WXA-50? Do you think that a subwoofer is necessary to fill the room with decent low frequencies? Sorry for the many questions, I'm currently saving up to buy them later this year (either them or the Martin Logan 35xti) but is not a small investment. My amp is a 2:1 Denon DRA-800H 2 channels receiver, 100+100 RMS Watts / 8 Ohm, the room is about 6x4,5 meters or 20x15 feet. Thanks.

How are the BS243.4 Carina playing in the large room (how large is the room?)? Can they play loud with the Yamaha WXA-50? Do you think that a subwoofer is necessary to fill the room with decent low frequencies? Sorry for the many questions, I'm currently saving up to buy them later this year (either them or the Martin Logan 35xti) but is not a small investment. My amp is a 2:1 Denon DRA-800H 2 channels receiver, 100+100 RMS Watts / 8 Ohm, the room is about 6x4,5 meters or 20x15 feet. Thanks.
So I did sell the Carinas as I didn't think I was giving them enough power and I want to go to active speakers and not worry about matching amps and speaker. That being said, I felt the Carina's played very well into my room (13 x 30, and a kitchen and dining room also off to the side that I don't count). I found I could play very loud with a bit of headroom left over with the Yamaha WXA-50 ( I can't quite remember how much though off the top of my head). This was loud as in I was worried my neighbor was going to pound on my door loud. I find the Yamaha amp bright with other speakers but actually I felt it helped overall with the Carina as it is a bit more laid back then the ML 35xti. At nearfield I didn't feel like I had enough clarity and musicality at low volume, so I do think the Yamaha is maybe underpowered a bit for that. I also tried a NAD D3045 but I liked the Yamaha more with the Elacs. As for the Martin Logan's I have had them also and I liked the Carina more with the Yamaha amp, but the ML are more efficient so I guess you might get more out of them volume wise. I also had a Quad Vena II amp with the 35xti and honestly it was an amazing pairing. Tons of power, great nearfield clarity also. That amp had some weird issue I could hear when no music was playing so I don't have it now, it might be excellent with the ELAC also. I thought the Carina might be less boomy against a wall which is why I sold the Martin Logan's. I don't really think there was a major difference, but the Carina probably was slightly less boomy if you are near a wall. In the end the ML speaker might be a little more forgiving with amp power based on what I have read up on for efficiency between it and the Carina. Both amazing speakers though. Looks go to the Carina. Sorry if this is rambling a bit but hope it helps.

So I did sell the Carinas as I didn't think I was giving them enough power and I want to go to active speakers and not worry about matching amps and speaker. That being said, I felt the Carina's played very well into my room (13 x 30, and a kitchen and dining room also off to the side that I don't count). I found I could play very loud with a bit of headroom left over with the Yamaha WXA-50 ( I can't quite remember how much though off the top of my head). This was loud as in I was worried my neighbor was going to pound on my door loud. I find the Yamaha amp bright with other speakers but actually I felt it helped overall with the Carina as it is a bit more laid back then the ML 35xti. At nearfield I didn't feel like I had enough clarity and musicality at low volume, so I do think the Yamaha is maybe underpowered a bit for that. I also tried a NAD D3045 but I liked the Yamaha more with the Elacs. As for the Martin Logan's I have had them also and I liked the Carina more with the Yamaha amp, but the ML are more efficient so I guess you might get more out of them volume wise. I also had a Quad Vena II amp with the 35xti and honestly it was an amazing pairing. Tons of power, great nearfield clarity also. That amp had some weird issue I could hear when no music was playing so I don't have it now, it might be excellent with the ELAC also. I thought the Carina might be less boomy against a wall which is why I sold the Martin Logan's. I don't really think there was a major difference, but the Carina probably was slightly less boomy if you are near a wall. In the end the ML speaker might be a little more forgiving with amp power based on what I have read up on for efficiency between it and the Carina. Both amazing speakers though. Looks go to the Carina. Sorry if this is rambling a bit but hope it helps.
Thank you very much for your reply, since you had both models, can you comment a bit more on how the ribbon tweeter on the Carina behaves with respect to the Martin Logan 35xti? I'm also expecting more deep bass from the ML considering the size of the woofer and the cabinet (you mention that the Carina might be less boomy against a wall due to the position of the vent port).
In general, based on what you wrote, unless you need speakers that are very efficient, the Carina are a better deal than the ML (smaller, easier to place in the room and less expensive, at least in Europe). Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom