Question Amp advice - integrating a Pro-Ject Turntable into 2 separate systems, 1 modern, 1 "classic".

thisburningage

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months back I got hold of a Pro-Ject Debut 3 SE turntable and my wife and my folks were kind enough to say they'd chip in and help me purchase a suitable amp to pair with it. Due to a stint of bad health it got put on the back burner but I'm now in a position to move forward - however my set-up is perhaps a bit more complicated than the norm so it would be great to have some advice.

I'm a musician and a couple of years ago I built myself a small, soundproofed studio, separate from the house, in our garden where I run a PC based DAW system comprising of an RME Fireface 800 running into a pair of Adam A7's. Amongst the general mish-mash of equipment I also have a lovely pair of Spendor ls3/5a's given to me by an ex-outside broadcast BBC sound engineer which I've been running with an unmolested Quad 405. The Adam's are great for the Alt/Rock/Electro side of things but the ls3's sound fantastic with acoustic guitar, string and symphonic tracks. The turntable is going to live in the studio (where I also keep all my vinyl) and although my priority is integrating it into the DAW>Fireface>Adam's set-up it would be amazing to be able to also have it hooked-up to the Quad>home-made volume pot>ls3's...that's if it's not going to prove to be a massive headache to achieve.

So I guess it boils down to these questions:

1. What amp would be best suited for the DAW set-up and provide the best quality for the budget I'm on (see below)?
2. If you guys think it's easily achievable, what would be the best way to integrate the turn-table so I could listen through either the Adam's or the ls3's without any (or at least minimal) switching of cables?

I imagine running everything (at some point in the two chains) into the Fireface would be good as there's plenty of inputs and outputs: RME: Fireface 800

I don't have the biggest budget to work with, around £200-300 max (although I might be able to stretch this if I left it till after my bank balance has recovered from Christmas) and I'm happy to consider anything be it modern or "classic" (I'm definitely not a purist. If something sounds good then that works for me). If retro equipment is the way forward I already have the following leads (not sure if they'll help but just in case):

Sounds Heavenly > Products for Naim/Quad/Classic Audio > Quad 33/44 to 303/405 Cables
Sounds Heavenly > Products for Naim/Quad/Classic Audio > TV/CD/DVD to Naim/Quad Cables
Sounds Heavenly > Products for Naim/Quad/Classic Audio > iPod/iPhone to Naim/Quad Cables

plus a whole heap of more modern leads and connecters that I've amassed over the years.

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of thing which is one of the big reasons I'm posting here for advice. Again, my priority is to get the turn-table into the DAW>Fireface>Adam system but if it's at all possible to do both then that would be fantastic.

Many thanks,

Leigh.

Pro-Ject Debut 3 Specs: Pro-Ject Audio Systems
(The Debut III SE is supplied with a pre-fitted Ortofon Super OM10. The Super OM10 uses a Stylus 10 mounted into an improved cartridge body, compared to the OM5e as found on the standard ProJect Debut).

First off you need a phono stage. Then sending this audio to both amplifiers. The problem will be for the system in another room as long RCA cables could pickup noise.

Personally if you want multi-room I'd stick to storage based media as you can access the files over network, if you have multi-room then a long optical cable from one AV amp (digital out) to the AV amp/DAC in the other room.

Thanks for the reply. It's all in the same room so those multi-room problems thankfully aren't applicable. When you say I need a phono-stage what would you suggest for this particular set-up (I'm not clued up at all on what's available/what's good)?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom