Amp advice for new house

Gambit1977

A bit of background first.
We’re hopefully moving in a month to a new house after 5 months of messing about with mortgages. The new house unlike our current open plan one has several individual rooms and one with a large vaulted ceiling that I was hoping to convert into my listening room.

I currently just have Sonos Play5 x2 along with a Project Debut Carbon in the lounge but have some Q Acoustics 3010s I’d like to put back into use. They’ve only ever been used with a Sony 1040 AVR but were made redundant with the introduction of a playbar.

The new room is 5.87m X 3.6m. Granite walls and a large open fire at one end.

I’ve read that the Qs shine when paired with an amp over 60w. I won’t lie, I am super obsessed with the Cambridge Audio CXA61/81, mostly as they look stunning. But am I punching above my weight with my kit? Is the room large enough? Etc etc.

I’ll still use Sonos throughout the rest of the house as it’s just so simple to use so I’m not really bothered about streaming. Although Bluetooth would be helpful.

Thanks for reading!

muljao

The q acoustics are nice, I'd say that room could do with bigger though, they are quite small. I've no doubt they'd be fine with the Cambridge audio, I use q acoustics with marantz pm 6006 to good effect, they are 2020i, also an old nad with 3020is

Gambit1977

The q acoustics are nice, I'd say that room could do with bigger though, they are quite small. I've no doubt they'd be fine with the Cambridge audio, I use q acoustics with marantz pm 6006 to good effect, they are 2020i, also an old nad with 3020is
I have considered getting some Kef floorstanders in the past, mainly that was down to aesthetics. As it’s a very different style of property, I’m happy to look at cheaper, possibly better alternatives now. Any suggestions?

muljao

What will you intend on listening to (vinyl you mentioned), will you plug tv in, Spotify etc?

Gambit1977

What will you intend on listening to (vinyl you mentioned), will you plug tv in, Spotify etc?
I’m going to only listen to vinyl and Apple Music on it. Perhaps a CD player down the line. I want a purely hifi system.

Oh and I would like to fire lengthways. Hence me mentioning the large open fire as I’m not sure the alcoves will affect my listening m.

muljao

There'll be 100s of different opinions, all are relevant. In your shoes I'd sort my amp first. If you go for the Cambridge audio, you'll need a phono stage for your vinyl I'm guessing (unless your turntable has one built in). Consider the marantz pm6007, it has a phono stage as an example- you'd save a few hundred on the ca when you take the phono stage into account.

I'd try out with your q acoustics- might be worth buying a set of stands- if the speakers work out happy days, if you feel you needed more the 3020i or the 3030i would definitely be options that would improve on room filling detail- this is just a suggestion(money saved on amp would buy these)

For info the q acoustic are very easy to drive, the 45 watts of the marantz will run them perfectly well, lots use the rega Io with them and that's 30 watts, if the power is done correctly, the numbers don't always tell the story

Above is just one option of many

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom