AMMYY phone call - scam??

Sulley75

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Help!

A guy just rang our phone and asked my wife to turn on our PC. She hung up. It rang again and a guy said he was calling as some error messages that are on our machine are affecting his business!! He asked me to type in AMMYY into google and click "run this software". I told him i wasnt comfortable with that and i ended the call.

***?? I have never had that before, he claimed he worked for Microsoft.

Has anyone had this before? I dont see how our PC would affect any businesses!!

sounds like a hacker would of made a software and then keylog everything or maybe get in your system

Free remote desktop sharing and file tranfer system

its a software for people to get access to pc

Cheers guys. After a bit of googleisation this is a known scam and pretty recent. They get on your PC via this ammyy, then say your errors can be fixed ....for a fee!!

So heads up for you all. Glad i ended the call.

Is there any way to opt in? Sounds like you could have some fun with these losers if you go about it the right way...

How do they get your phone number (ex Directory)and other details?like what isp etc

They didnt state ISP mate. I guess they got phone number and name just the same way as other folk do.

Hi guys,

I've been working in IT for many years now.
I had the same call this weekend from this mob.
I usually hang up on telemarketers however i thought i could have some fun with this 'IT' call.
I followed the callers steps to see what he wanted me to do.
He even transferred me on to his supervisor!!
During the call i could hear lots of Indians speaking the same lines in the background.
They got me to managed my pc and tried to tell me that generic errors and warnings from the security log was infact a virus or trojan horse. and that all 8 of my pcs were infected.
He then got me to go on the internet and tried to get me to click the main button that runs a exe on their homepage (Ammyy Admin - Free remote desktop sharing and file tranfer system).
I then told him that i've worked in IT for many years and was just playing along with his call too waste his time and work out what he wanted me to do so i could warn other people not to follow their steps. He then quickly hung up on me :smashin:. (first time a telemarketer has hung up on me!).

I then warned my family and everyone else i know that it was a scam.

Please don't do a thing for these idiots!

Regards,

Aaron.

I had a call like that this afternoon; the Indian gent claimed to be from Microsoft and wanted me to execute Start->Run->TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet.
After that he would have assumed control and no doubt tried to bamboozle me with errors in the Windoze Event log (trying to tell me that they were caused by some virus or malware).
Teamviewer themselves are, of course, perfectly genuine and legitimate.
I told him at that point (without going as far as teamviewer) that I am an electronics engineer who spends a lot of time these days doing IT (this happens to be true) and suggested that he takes his scam elsewhere.
The sad thing about this is that the technically naive and the gullible will be scammed successfully by these low life.:mad:

I fell victim to these people i let them into my computer When they wanted money clean out viruses irefused should i be worried about my e?mail account.

I fell victim to these people i let them into my computer When they wanted money clean out viruses irefused should i be worried about my e?mail account.

best thing you can do is wipe your hdd and do a clean install.

hope you dont keep any bank details on your PC!

Last edited:
this has happened to my family a few times now, and on one occasion I had a bit of fun, but soon got hungup on when I started talking really techie back .....
BUT with one of my family they also wanted to send an engineer around to sort out the issues !!!!! - so beaware...

Hi DC8900 How sad are you if this is how you get your chuckles. Senior Member!!!

Hi DC8900 How sad are you if this is how you get your chuckles. Senior Member!!!

I don't think he meant any harm by his comments - he was certainly not mocking you or any others, he was just pointing out the thread where someone who works with computers took these scammers along for a ride.

I don't think he meant any harm by his comments - he was certainly not mocking you or any others, he was just pointing out the thread where someone who works with computers took these scammers along for a ride.
Sorry maybe i missed something in his comments that was helpfull !!! apart from stating the obvious enlighten me Please

woah woah woah, I believe you mis-understood me mate! I was referring to the thread in which as Iccz states another member took one of these scammers for a ride; I was not making a dig at you or anyone who may have nearly fell for this scam, I'm not questioning anyone's intelligence (but my point stands, is that they prey on people not being up on computing terms or tech). I apologise if you may have been inadvertently offended! after mis-understanding my post

Aside from that, I was just providing that thread as an example, and also in post #2 in that thread, I linked a Guardian article about these scammers, so I'd imagine that would be helpful :thumbsup: unless you really don't like the Guardian ;)

p.s. Thanks to Iccz and deadringers for making a defence before I had a chance to reply :smashin:

Last edited:
please keep this discussion civil. I dont want to dig my pruning sheers out:lease:

Hello im not sure yet how this works, but I had a phone call today from aammy saying i had probs with my pc, they did run some tests, i did accept the links they gave me, how do i sort my hard drive, and is my bank accounts safe? Please help me thank you.

Hi guys,

I've been working in IT for many years now.
I had the same call this weekend from this mob.
I usually hang up on telemarketers however i thought i could have some fun with this 'IT' call.
I followed the callers steps to see what he wanted me to do.
He even transferred me on to his supervisor!!
During the call i could hear lots of Indians speaking the same lines in the background.
They got me to managed my pc and tried to tell me that generic errors and warnings from the security log was infact a virus or trojan horse. and that all 8 of my pcs were infected.
He then got me to go on the internet and tried to get me to click the main button that runs a exe on their homepage (Ammyy Admin - Free remote desktop sharing and file tranfer system).
I then told him that i've worked in IT for many years and was just playing along with his call too waste his time and work out what he wanted me to do so i could warn other people not to follow their steps. He then quickly hung up on me :smashin:. (first time a telemarketer has hung up on me!).

I then warned my family and everyone else i know that it was a scam.

Please don't do a thing for these idiots!

Regards,

Aaron.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom