Amiko Alien - what is dual boot?

joshtbh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm researching before building my first satellite install and am hence on the look out for my first receiver. My main requirement is an EPG, therefore I looked at the Amiko SHD-8900 Alien HD.

One of the things I don't understand from looking at the specs is what "dual boot" means? Why would I need to boot another OS?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Most machines can provide some sort of EPG, but whether they do or not depends on all sorts of factors, mainly whether the broadcaster provides one in the first place!
Can you give us more context for this "double boot" quotation?

Alien runs both Spark and Enigma2, I believe Spark is closed source. Enigma2 is of course open and has more plugins and support, however how well it runs is another question.

Well for my "proof of concept" stage of my sat project, to be honest I wanted as cheap a box as poossible so I looked at the Skybox F3....but this appears to only have a channel list and not an EPG. Are you saying it could be possible to somehow get an EPG on one of these? I'm ok working with Linux at the command line but I hear the skybox F3's are closed source?! :)o)

The dual boot thing: This is their marketing speil "The Alien is the next generation full HD hybrid set-top box with dual-boot Spark and Enigma 2 Linux operating systems! " What on earth does it mean?! I can't fathom why you'd need 2 operating systems.

Alien runs both Spark and Enigma2, I believe Spark is closed source. Enigma2 is of course open and has more plugins and support, however how well it runs is another question.
ahhh!!!! sorry I just saw your post AFTER i refreshed.

that makes perfect sense. It's a little strange to see a product manufacturer make something which fits the need of two types of people,

1) Plug n Play (I am assuming Spark is polished nicely and is Wife friendly)
2) Tinkerers who like access to the hardware layer to develop their own cool functions for the box.

I like it, thanks for the explanation Kev.

Can't speak for the f3 but older Skyboxes didn't get 7 day epg on UK channels, and they are all closed source.

Closed source you can't install and remove software and your stuck with whatever is provided. Open source gives many more options.

On any linux based enigma2 receiver the EPG is no problem, it can be saved to usb stick or internal memory and be updated as often as you require. You do not need linux experience to run these but knowing your way around a command line and the filesystem may come in handy, it really depends what you want the thing to do...

Well for my "proof of concept" stage of my sat project, to be honest I wanted as cheap a box as poossible so I looked at the Skybox F3....but this appears to only have a channel list and not an EPG. Are you saying it could be possible to somehow get an EPG on one of these? I'm ok working with Linux at the command line but I hear the skybox F3's are closed source?! :)o)

The SKYBOX F3 has an EPG but it will depend on the satellite and the channel as to what you get between now and next or upto and seven days or more.

Yes they are a closed source so not much can be done, though there were a few developers for the Openbox receivers on with the SKYBOX is based.

The SKYBOX F3 has an EPG but it will depend on the satellite and the channel as to what you get between now and next or upto and seven days or more.

Ah yes, I was assuming it was going to be used for UK channels eg Sky/Freesat. These do not transmit the EPG in dvbs format and you'll only get now/next on most receivers as standard. Enigma receivers can download the 7 day epg as can some closed source receivers such as the Tehcnomate 5402.

Some european broadcasters do broadcast full dvbs epg and you'll get as much as they broadcast on most receivers.

Do you know if the 28.2E Satellite has the EPG please?

Yes they are a closed source so not much can be done, though there were a few developers for the Openbox receivers on with the SKYBOX is based.

ooh. do you mean there were development communities? like flashing ROMs on Android phones, flashing operating systems onto these skybox f3s?

Tehcnomate 5402.

hmm, I can't find one of those for sale anywhere are they defunct?

Last edited:
Either 28.2 or 28.5 carries the Sky and the Freesat EPGs, but I guess that's not what the question means.
Whether you can get one or the other or both depends on the machine.
As I said "Most machines can provide some sort of EPG, but whether they do or not depends on all sorts of factors".
The 5402 is one of the most popular models from Technomate: Technomate 5402.

Last edited:
Either 28.2 or 28.5 carries the Sky and the Freesat EPGs, but I guess that's not what the question means.
Whether you can get one or the other or both depends on the machine.
As I said "Most machines can provide some sort of EPG, but whether they do or not depends on all sorts of factors".
The 5402 is one of the most popular models from Technomate: Technomate 5402.

Are we allowed to talk about the factors on which getting an EPG depends here?

The youtube vid I saw of an Alien though was just a selection of channels, it didn't look like there was the correct interface in place for the channels.....I guess it could have been another button on the remote though.

Does the Technomate 5402 EPG just work then? Maybe I should switch my attention to that instead of the Alien, but really if I can get to the bottom of why an EPG may not work on a F3, I would be happier as these things are half the price of the Technomates and Aliens.

The 5402 is remarkably low priced and I understand that it does give a full EPG for the UK channels.
Use its thread to get more information.

Do you know if the 28.2E Satellite has the EPG please?

If you mean can the SKYBOX F3 show a full 28.2/5e EPG then no its only now or next.

ooh. do you mean there were development communities? like flashing ROMs on Android phones, flashing operating systems onto these skybox f3s?

Yes there were for the Openbox receivers but not a lot happened. Do a search for Openbox on other forums. The manufacturer still offers OS updates occasionally. Again these can be found on other forums.

Does the Technomate 5402 EPG just work then?
but really if I can get to the bottom of why an EPG may not work on a F3

5402 EPG used to require viewing a certain channel until the EPG populated, but I believe that may have changed in recent firmware.

A quick Google confirms the Skybox f3 won't give 7 day EPG for UK channels. The EPG is not broadcast in a format the box understands and nobody has bothered to write the software for it.

Get a Linux box if you want open source, DM800SE, VU+ Solo etc. If not the Techno is probably a good choice, they seem popular. Buy cheap buy twice etc etc.

5402 EPG used to require viewing a certain channel until the EPG populated, but I believe that may have changed in recent firmware.

A quick Google confirms the Skybox f3 won't give 7 day EPG for UK channels. The EPG is not broadcast in a format the box understands and nobody has bothered to write the software for it.

Get a Linux box if you want open source, DM800SE, VU+ Solo etc. If not the Techno is probably a good choice, they seem popular. Buy cheap buy twice etc etc.

thank you kev, I'm noticing no recommendations for the Amiko Alien at the moment which is interesting.

While I have you - is there much difference between a Dream genuine and Chinese clone?

Last edited:

It still does require parking on the EPG channel on the latest Phantompatches [126p & 127p] for the TM5402HD .. but it's faster - c. 20 seconds.

thank you kev, I'm noticing no recommendations for the Amiko Alien at the moment which is interesting.

A friend brought one who's a very experinced sat user and hated it, taken a lose and sold his.

While I have you - is there much difference between a Dream genuine and Chinese clone?

About 200ÂŁ. Personally would never touch a clone again, had one and it lasted about 13 months. Pleny of good priced sat boxes on the market ATM.
All depends on what you really want from the box.

joshtbh said:
I'm noticing no recommendations for the Amiko Alien at the moment which is interesting.

The concept of dual boot is to allow you the simple option of closed source image or open source in one box.

Some people only have one sat box and for the most part want it to do straightforward duties-Spark image. The dual feature allows you to tinker should you feel the need-Linux image.

It's generally a basic box and it's aimed for those who want to dip or have a first foray into linux without having to re-program box to the annoyance of everyone else.

Chinese clones are a lottery. You never know what you'll get and they are usually restricted to clone images. The ones that work, work. For how long or how well....that all depends.

Unless recording channels I do not understand why people are too bothered about 7day epg. Normally I just flick to see whats on. If I want to watch a certain program then I just check what time it is on

The Alien2 is a good box for the cost but it does have its drawbacks.

The Spark image is very stable but limited in functionality, EPG timer recordings get wiped when cross epg is run.

The enigma2 side of things can be very frustrating, most of the images have many issues but there are a couple of images which are ok. Once enigma2 is setup ts more user friendly and has a more attractive UI but it can take a bit of work to get it working ok.

There are plenty of other forums dedicated to linux sat boxs which may help you more.

Cheers

The E2 support was/is a absolute joke for these machines, says it all when the main distributer drops all E2 image support/discussion on their forums. That said I think the Spark side has came on a bit, just after reflashing a Alien 2 with the latest Spark Image and system plugins.

The E2 support was/is a absolute joke for these machines, says it all when the main distributer drops all E2 image support/discussion on their forums. That said I think the Spark side has came on a bit, just after reflashing a Alien 2 with the latest Spark Image and system plugins.
The E2 images have got better recently, i have had my box nearly 10 months and only just found a good image. TBH the distributor/support forum is very poor, i pointed out issues with the spark image to another user and got blocked!!
I have the latest spark image and it works very well and is very stable, had no issues what so ever!!!

Currently running an OpenAR-P image and it is by far the best image of a bad bunch, only had the green screen once in a month and its very responsive.
I dont really bother with many of the E2 plugins, most of them are poor or dont work any way, stick to what you know!

Cheers

Thats just plain disgusting mate, your not the only one that this happened to, anybody who opened their mouth to mump about the frame rate drop out on encrypted channels was band too, disgusting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom