Amiko Alien 2, worth a punt?

Ghostleader

Anybody had a play with one of these? A twin HD sat tuner dual boot Spark and Enigma embeded receiver for £150? Surely this could capture a piece of the market if theres half decent support, the only other receiver to come close was that DuoLabs mini thing, that was pretty rotten to say the least!

Ghostleader

Having a look it looks like theres only one E2 image and its in Alpha, three other images are Spark.

Davey H

Novice Member
Not MIPS based, so the E2 side of things will end up the same as it has on all other non MIPS boxes.

From what I've read though Spark is ok.

RobTi

Not MIPS based, so the E2 side of things will end up the same as it has on all other non MIPS boxes.

From what I've read though Spark is ok.
Any chance of explaining MIPS in relation to receivers ?

Thanks

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Any chance of explaining MIPS in relation to receivers ?

Thanks
It's the CPU architecture used:
MIPS architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most popular Linux based boxes are MIPS based and the platform is well supported. A non MIPS receiver may run Enigma 2 the same as a Dreambox etc but it needs to be specially compiled for the platform with the appropriate drivers for the hardware. Most of them don't get the required support and end up buggy or missing features.

RobTi

Thanks mate got the wiki and got lost in it thats why i asked, so the main reason is that MIPS receivers have to have the images compiled differently and have better ongoing support

Robert

thfccambs

Banned
Has anyone brought one yet?

Fred Smith

The MaxDigital XP1000 looks interesting at the same price. Is MIPS and has a CI slot.

hallo18

Standard Member
From what I can gather on this box, its still in its early days and in not widely supported yet but that is changing on a daily basics.

lack300

Can these do multi room. Or is it sender only

logiciel

Multiroom is Sky's term for having and paying for more than one of their machines.
What are your requirements for a machine?

lack300

I have an amiko alien 2 box and wondered how I could feed my tv in another room off this box. Cheers t

logiciel

Yes, use whatever spare output sockets it has.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
I have an amiko alien 2 box and wondered how I could feed my tv in another room off this box. Cheers t
RGB looks like the best .. if the tv has that, that and the audio.. - or next there's 3 phono with av composite or scart

TV-SCART: Video CVBS/RGB output, Audio L/R output
RCA A/V: Video CVBS output, Audio L/R output
S/PDIF: Optical & Coaxial, Digital Audio / Dolby Digital / DTS Bit Stream Output

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
If the e2 support is complete you could serve the card from the alien to another box in the second room for the full multiroom experience.

lack300

If the e2 support is complete you could serve the card from the alien to another box in the second room for the full multiroom experience.
That's what I'm after. What are the loops for screw type connector under input.

Fred Smith

What are the loops for screw type connector under input.
Loopthrough?

But is it still available? I see WoS no longer have it listed.

Fred Smith

Multiroom is Sky's term for having and paying for more than one of their machines.
Cyfra + are advertising 'Multiroom' packages for no extra cost over the subscription. Would be nice to see Sky do the same, I know it is very unlikely to happen.

lack300

Fred Smith

Can I run cable from loop to my freesat hd Panasonic tv and get the same channels that are on my alien 2 box.
Yes, but the channels will not necessarily be the same. If the Amiko is on the Panasonic can only see the same LNB, polarity and band, if the Amikio is off then the Panasonic will control the LNB. If you are decoding encrypted channels on the Amiko the Panasonc will not decode them.

Last edited: