American TV Set in London

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rutlanda, Nov 6, 2005.

1. rutlanda

rutlanda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my line of thought...I am moving to the UK and I have two HDTVs. One has component video input and the other has component and HDMI. I understand their NTSC tuners will not pickup and broadcast a PAL signal, BUT, if I have a European cable box (SKY Cable) and utilize the HD inputs, will this not bypas the NTSC tuner and display appropriately? Does the box as the tuner and the TV onlly as a display? Should I just sell them both and buy a set when I get there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Once you get down to the level of HDMI or component, you leave most of the NTSC encoding behind. However, US TVs accept video at 60 Hz. European sources ar almost all 50 Hz, so you would have to use something like a scaler to convert the frame rate. That will slightly spoil smooth motion, and there is no getting around it, sorry. Some people over here put up with it in order to input native resolution feeds into plasmas using DVI or HDMI inputs, but it's not ideal.

nick

3. rutlanda

rutlanda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick...I knew it sounded too easy. Will i have any trouble with my receiver if I put it on a quality transformer?

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Any 50->60Hz HD conversion carried out by a low-cost (i.e. sub US$10,000) scaler will be far from high quality. Broadcasters spend US$10ks on converters to deliver decent quality pictures. Converting 50 to 60 frames/fields a second without introducing judder or blurring requires lots of clever motion tracking and interpolation - not just repeating 10 frames/fields as the low cost devices often do...

If you are really after high quality - and you can confirm that your HD sets don't accept 50Hz inputs - then buying a UK display rather than buying a scaler which will only deliver a mediocre result in motion conversion, and cost a grand or two, would probably be a better bet.

5. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You should check the manuals closely as far as HD is concerned if your HDTV's accept 720p and 1080i at 50Hz then you should be okay for HD. You should also check if your SVideo and composite inputs accept PAL this would at least allow you to connect a regular sky box (or any other SD source) to your TV's. And last but not least, check the voltage and power requirements, if your TV doesnt accept 240V then the transformer you need to power them may be quite hefty!