1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Sharp Aquos TVs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NicolasB, Feb 2, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge of the U.S. variant of the Aquos Titanium range?

Three models are interesting: the LC45GD4U, the LC45GD6U and the LC45GX6U. I'm not quite sure how these relate to our own LC45GD1E.

Pricewise they're quite interesting. You can find prices in the $5600-$6000 range from online retailers (I don't how many of them ship to the UK, of course). Even if you add on $200-$300 shipping, import duty, VAT, etc. the total price could still be under £4000 (as compared with the LC45GD1E which I've seen for £4700, but is typically £4900 and up).

Potential issues:

1) Sky HD. These sets are HDCP-compliant, but I dont know if they can handle a 50Hz input signal.

2) PAL/NTSC. Obviously these devices can't make head or tail of PAL, but if you're using an external scaler (e.g. iscan HD+) to up convert to 1920x1080p over DVI (or HDMI), this should work (I think) so long as there are no frame-rate issues.

3) They have a terrestrial-HD tuner (which is useless in this country) and thus have no built-in Freeview tuner.

4) Problems with guarantees if you have to deal with a dealer in America.

Delightfully, there's no mains voltage problem: they're all rated up to 240V.

Perhaps a British retailer could organise a power buy? :devil:

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Time to bump this I think. I am seriously considering importing my next LCD TV from America.

Here's why: SCART. I don't want or need it. I'd rather have a second Component input. All I use SCART for is Freeview and it looks so terrible anyway that I have no problem downgrading it to S-Video (S-Vid doesn't even look much worse than RGB SCART anyway on good LCDs). I don't give a flying cr*p about Teletext, or being able to use its analog tuner. The warranty is the only thing I'd possibly be a little worried about, but I'd be willing to take the risk if the price was right.

Surely as a forum, we can get interested people and work together to find a store that has a good selection of LCDs that is willing to export.

3. mbpilot

mbpilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While your idea is a good one (and I have seen this LCD in Best Buy and was mesmerized by it!!!), unfortunately I don't think you would be happy with what you get.

I live in the US, and would love a multi system LCD/DLP which I could use here or in Australia. Hence I have been looking for TVs which support PAL/NTSC, and also the SD/HD resolutions.

As you suspected, I found out the field scan rates are different. And SD just isn't supported.

Resolution US UK / Aus
    Default video system NTSC PAL
    SD 480i 576i
    HD 720p @60Hz 720p @50Hz
    HD 1080i @60Hz 1080i @50Hz

Unless you know of some neat converter, I think you would have a problem with the scan rates. I had a look in the manual and it wasn't explicit (it just says ATSC compliant - but this is what it means).

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recommend that. There is a long list of incompatabilities between US and European TVs.

5. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is sharp planning to take this model to 50" or 55" anytime soon?

cheers,

julie

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Damn, that's a real problem. I don't particularly want to degrade the quality of PAL stuff with a standards converter.

MBPilot, have you gone round with PAL equipment and tested any TVs? It shocks (and actually worries me) that such expensive screens wouldn't support PAL video - I know of home theater enthusiasts over at the AV Science Forum who import PAL DVDs. Last time I was in New York, I was going to "assess the situation" and go around stores with my Digital Camera with AV out set to PAL mode. Sadly, I just didn't have the time.

I think ATSC compliant is referring to a built in HDTV/Digital tuner. I wish we had someone with a US version to test for us.... I can't think of any reason why they'd go to the bother of actually getting rid of support for the 50hz video modes - surely they're all the same TV internally?

Needless to say - I'll be finding out for definite before I put any money down. BTW, I've found some sites that will ship the Sony KDL32M1 (that's the model # off the top of my head, could be wrong) over here - the US version has an HDMI input (Europe got a frickin' SCART - not exactly a fair swap!)