1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American pychco

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by SHAUNY, Aug 11, 2002.

1. SHAUNY

SHAUNY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there a special edition of this brilliant movi or should i go with the great value one on play.com for £9

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No special editions of American Psycho unfortunately. The R2 version is a better buy than the R1 though. There are two R1 versions, an Unrated edition which includes a little more of the sex scene with the prostitutes, and a standard R1 which was the same as the version released in the cinemas in the US. Both have the same extra features.

The R2 on the other hand was passed uncut in the UK so the DVD is the same as the R1 Unrated version. Also, the R2 version as a few extra features and a better Cover.

3. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good film...but have you read the book?...exccellent...and far more distubing than the film...pretty sick in some places but still an excellent book.

4. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pretty sick is a bit of an understatement. Some of the sickest things I have ever read. It makes James Herbert’s early work seem like reading a Nody book. Still a enjoyable but disturbing read.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read the book years ago, then out of curiosity I watched the movie earlier this year on Sky. Movie's pretty faithful to the book but the book's way more grim :devil:

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The book is a lot more detailed but also a lot more boring in parts. It's just too descriptive. In my opinion, the film was better but I think they could have shown a little more gore. It was tame compared to a lot of other 18 rated commercial films.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean the chapters on Huey Lewis & The News, Whitney Houston, Genesis etc, I found that I was able to just not read those chapters and still not miss any of the plot. They're just in there for padding and to make the point about him being mental. As long as you know they're there, there really is no need to read them.

My main gripe with the book is that it doesn't really end. Made me feel rather "cheated" by the time I got to the last chapter :rolleyes:

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    There was serious talk by Bale that there will be a sequal but I haven't heard anything more since. I still can't believe he had his teeth done 'American' instead of falsies - I hate those horse-like US teeth:mad:

9. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your right...even i found it a bit too long...but it did make a sufficient break in the continous gore. Apart from telling us that he's compleatly bonkers it might have been put there to stop us from becoming immune to the shock value of his writing...but actually by the end i had got quite used to it and found some of the sick acts quite funny!!....:eek: i've read it twice...the second time was when commuting to work...got a few funny looks when ppl looked over your shoulder..lol

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I read them just in case there was any plot thrown in them... they are actually very funny chapters as his 'informed critique' on these artists is way, way, way off. He sees what he wants to in their work.

Several of the most disturbing scenes were deemed too violent to film such as the Zoo child murder, the dog murder and the 'rat in the tube' homocide.

A sequel was made and went straight to video it follows Bateman's one surviving victim (which rather stupidly answers the question of whether he was a murderer or whether he made it all up to make himself more interesting) who has become so disturbed by Bateman's attack that she herself has become an American Pyscho... needless to say I didn't feel like hiring it.:rolleyes:

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0283877

11. SHAUNY

SHAUNY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks