1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Import ? (NAD/Rotel/Marantz)

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Nutty, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    The exchange rate is very favourable at the moment for importing from America. I'm just about to buy an AV receiver inland, but before I do, does anyone have any info about difference between the receivers ?

Obviously the power supply will be different, but is that all ?

The only disadvantage I suppose (especially with NAD receivers) is the fact that you may need to send it back ! Which is a pain if it has to go to and from America.

I wonder how it affects the waranty too ? I suspect just getting one inland will be the least hassle.

Rotel receivers are half the price in the America, so I was half pondering importing one of those. Do they have a 110/240 volt switch on the back, anyone know ?

Any opinions on the matter will be appreciated. I want to purchase tommorow.

Cheers,

Mark.
    --

2. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    my advise to you nutty would be to press the pause button first;)

take some time to investigate fully your options, use the search engine here and read through related threads on this topic

go to each manufacturers website and contact them via email the questions you want to ask them are

Does the unit have a multivoltage auto detecting supply.If it does it will operate from arround 90v to 265v with either 50Hz or 60Hz mains.Consequently you will have no problems connecting and operating it in UK.

If not ask if there is a switch on the back to convert voltage from 110v to 220v

Also ask will the unit also automatically detect the incomming video standard as well so that itwill switch to PAL as soon as it sees a PAL signal on its input.

Also you have to bear in mind the customs and VAT issues, warranty implications and whether you loose the ability to upgrade the unit in the future in the uk.

BUT FIRST PRESS PAUSE

;) ;)

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Rotel is mostly 110V only in the US (and Taiwan, Japan). The RSP-1098 for example is 110V (actually 120V) only.
    AFAIK the same goes for the Rotel power amps, had a look at those a year or two back.

US DVD players (except the cheap China imports perhaps) usually do not support PAL nor RGB / Scart.

You might find the relevant info from their webpage: www.rotel.com