American Gods Season 2 Review & Comments

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. I guess you’re correct, but season 1 hooked me and this picked it up seamlessly. I thoroughly enjoyed ep1. A solid 8/10 for me.
I know you’ve highlighted it right at the top of the review, but given Amazons track record and for those who ignored the opening picture like me, forgive me if I just repeat that it is available in UHD.

crabby09

Established Member
Hate episodic releases...

Season 1 (I felt) built really well, but I was so peeved when it ended - it never felt like a series! It was like a mid season break... and it's lasted for two years :( I am terribly worried this will go nowhere in season 2 and just kill it off for me.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas,
Really enjoyed season 1, didn’t realise this had dropped.
I’m a sucker for visuals, so hoping this is half decent and can recover from the first few eps. Least I’m going in now with lower expectations, always helps :)

Still have to catch up with Amazons Patriot season 2, loved the first one and slowly making my way (during my lunch breaks) through The Americans, but have also started The Expanse after good feedback from many... too much content out there!

ch1z

Established Member
I thought season one was outstanding. It is a bit worrying that they are proposing 5 seasons, having read the book there is just not 5 seasons worth of material even with creative writing. Having just given up my Amazon Prime it's one to will have to wait for. All the same if it continues in the same way as season one, it's a joyous what the hell is going on? but in a good way. Worth it for Gillian Anderson's cameo alone and Ian Mc Shane's performance is outstanding.
Like an earlier post I had to binge the Expanse season 3 and one outstanding moment which was just jaw dropping that I had to re-watch it to believe they did it... (you'll know it when you see it) that is a hell of a good series, and also if you like it darker so is Nightflyers, so much good stuff on the TV.

Atomicus

Established Member
While I enjoyed season 1 (McShane inparticular), it struck me at the time that it ran the risk of langushing way too long in its own opulence, dragging the story out needlessly, purely for its own (mostly visual) self gratification, and way too much reverence for the source material. That will buy it some time (helped by the fact there are few other shows out there like it), but if season 2 follows the same pattern, the core audience will eventually tune out. Wouldn't be the first show to fall in to that trap. I remember HBO's 'Carnivàle' made that mistake.

encaser

Distinguished Member
I remember HBO's 'Carnivàle' made that mistake.
I rather thought Carnivale made the mistake of trying to go too big. It worked wonderfully when they were on the road, as did this. It may well of been too slow for some but I enjoyed the road trip aspect to it.
There are several shows lying in the wasteland that started low key but with depth of characters and then got too big in scope for their boots and became vacuous - something that nearly killed Deadwood for good, too.
Cas' phrase of the day, Fever dream.
Ricky Whittle is piss poor and if they sustain him being joke of the day, fair enough.
The new Gods said they needed to find Media, so is Gillian Anderson popping up at all or being written out in some lame manner..?

crabby09

Established Member
Still have to catch up with Amazons Patriot season 2

Stop literally anything you are doing and WATCH IT NOW!!!! It's incredible telly - I thought season 1 was good but season 2 literally blew me away... I don't want to give away any spoliers so can't explain any of the reasons why it's so good... But trust me. WATCH IT NOW!!!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I
Stop literally anything you are doing and WATCH IT NOW!!!! It's incredible telly - I thought season 1 was good but season 2 literally blew me away... I don't want to give away any spoliers so can't explain any of the reasons why it's so good... But trust me. WATCH IT NOW!!!
I need a double like button !

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Last season had some memorable moments and fun characters (Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney, Odin, Anubis). The weighing of the heart on the scales by Anubis was my favourite scene from last season. Amazing depiction of the Egyptian afterlife.

Hoping for more or less more of the same this season, i.e. strange new characters, more mythical gods and extreme situations.

Take it Mr World is supposed to be
the devil/Satan/Lucifer?

encaser

Distinguished Member
Last season had some memorable moments and fun characters (Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney, Odin, Anubis). The weighing of the heart on the scales by Anubis was my favourite scene from last season. Amazing depiction of the Egyptian afterlife.

Hoping for more or less more of the same this season, i.e. strange new characters, more mythical gods and extreme situations.

Take it Mr World is supposed to be
the devil/Satan/Lucifer?
There aren't any angels, are there? God/Yahweh in the Christian/Catholic/Jew terms is missing, so wouldn't Satan be too?

Slinkywizard

Prominent Member
I

I need a double like button !
Triple like. Patriot is the best TV show I've ever seen. Period. Not hyperbole; truth. If you ever want to see true creative genius, watch Patriot.

MikeTVMikeTV

Prominent Member
Season 1 started really well but got a bit boring towards the end, sat and watched last night's but it was again a bit slow and boring. Mrs loves it so will carry on.

ggwoodland

Prominent Member
Just watched this it’s good that on the ATV it is 5.1. I thought the sound design was really impressive for a serialised show. Visuals like season 1 were a sumptuous feast. Agree it is a little slow - but let’s see how this develops. Season 1 was one of my favourite shows so Season 2 has a high bar

nitram_tpr

Established Member
I found episode 1 a little hard work. Coming so long after series 1 finished I think I need to re-watch the last couple of episodes of series one to refresh myself and wait for some more episodes of series 2 to drop before starting again.
I will say the visuals are spectacular, the carousel scene in particular in UHD is fantastic.

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Season 1 was sure brutal and I loved it, esp the scene when the poor dude gets sucked up the beaver LOL!
It is not for everyone I admit, some may find it distasteful but I love Ian McShane.
Looking forward to this. The visuals will be great again once more.
Thanks.

hal1000

Established Member
I might be wrong, but season 2 episode 1 on prime (UK) does not show HDR when I press play via my usual built in TV APP. When something is usually played in HDR via the APP - I usually get an HDR symbol pop up in the top right of my 65" LGe6 screen. Even though it say's onscreen via the amazon app UltraHD - I'm wondering if it's just me or is it a case of 4k but no HDR for this show?

Which having just watched it - it does seem to be shot with HDR in mind - but lacks the pop I would normaly see with such content (looks kind of dark and dull in the places it should really be popping). Also as this is an Amazon prime original - you would think they would get it right.

Last edited:

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I love the "painfully languid" bits.

It's gorgeous to look at and completely different to anything else around at the moment.

With a new mediocre show popping up every day on Amazon and Netflix, (only to vanish after one season) it's good to see a show that deserves a second season for a change.

JohnnyMN

Prominent Member
I might be wrong, but season 2 episode 1 on prime (UK) does not show HDR when I press play via my usual built in TV APP. When something is usually played in HDR via the APP - I usually get an HDR symbol pop up in the top right of my 65" LGe6 screen. Even though it say's onscreen via the amazon app UltraHD - I'm wondering if it's just me or is it a case of 4k but no HDR for this show?

Which having just watched it - it does seem to be shot with HDR in mind - but lacks the pop I would normaly see with such content (looks kind of dark and dull in the places it should really be popping). Also as this is an Amazon prime original - you would think they would get it right.

I can only get 1080p. No 4K or HDR. Tried using my TVs built in app LG 55EF950V and the app on my Panasonic UB820 player

hal1000

Established Member
The strange thing about the Amazon prime APP is that it usually has two picks for SOME content - so if you look for it - then you should find an icon for 1080p and then a few rows down you can SOMETIMES find exactly the same content in 4k. A good way to check this is The Grand Tour - when you pause a 4k UHD stream - you should see below the search bar - "HDR Ultra HD", BUT, if you pick the 1080p icon, then you will only get the 1080p version.

So that being said - when I play the 4k UHD version of American Gods season 2 episode 1 and press pause - all I see is Ultra HD and no HDR next to it, which like I said above - seems weird since:-
1. it is Amazons own original content - streamed via their own APP on their own network.
2. the director definitely shot this show with HDR in mind.
3. The Grand Tour is streamed in 4K UHD HDR so it's not a case of it's not technically possible.

Makes me wonder if Amazon even know or did someone at their end just upload the non HDR version up to their cloud servers and nobody noticed. They might be playing the long game and want to release it on UHD blueray in HDR but that seems a little money grabbing and short sighted if you ask me.

Oh well - I can only surmise that it is an oversight on their part and it may get fixed in time or if they get enough complaints. Seems such a shame though - as HDR for the way this show is shot would definitely make it pop and sparkle in all the ways the directors intended, in my opinion.

JohnnyMN

Prominent Member
The strange thing about the Amazon prime APP is that it usually has two picks for SOME content - so if you look for it - then you should find an icon for 1080p and then a few rows down you can SOMETIMES find exactly the same content in 4k. A good way to check this is The Grand Tour - when you pause a 4k UHD stream - you should see below the search bar - "HDR Ultra HD", BUT, if you pick the 1080p icon, then you will only get the 1080p version.

So that being said - when I play the 4k UHD version of American Gods season 2 episode 1 and press pause - all I see is Ultra HD and no HDR next to it, which like I said above - seems weird since:-
1. it is Amazons own original content - streamed via their own APP on their own network.
2. the director definitely shot this show with HDR in mind.
3. The Grand Tour is streamed in 4K UHD HDR so it's not a case of it's not technically possible.

Makes me wonder if Amazon even know or did someone at their end just upload the non HDR version up to their cloud servers and nobody noticed. They might be playing the long game and want to release it on UHD blueray in HDR but that seems a little money grabbing and short sighted if you ask me.

Oh well - I can only surmise that it is an oversight on their part and it may get fixed in time or if they get enough complaints. Seems such a shame though - as HDR for the way this show is shot would definitely make it pop and sparkle in all the ways the directors intended, in my opinion.

I just bloody found it in 4K after finishing the first episode in 1080p. Raging haha. Well I know for episode 2. Thanks for that . I just played a minute of it in 4K and no HDR. I don't remember S1 being in HDR either to be honest with you.

hal1000

Established Member
The lighting looks dull and dark when it should be popping - HDR is definitely what the director was thinking I'm sure when they put this together - shame we might never see it as it was intended :(

The latest video from AVForums

Tribit StormBox Blast Bluetooth Speaker: Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom