American game: Black and white screen?

y2richie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was bought NHL 08 for Christmas but it is the American version of the game. For some reason it is only in black and white on my TV set. I connect using a scart cable to an older TV set. But I was also bought Virtua Tennis 3 from America and it plays without any problems (full colour etc). Never had this problem before and wondered if anyone knew what was wrong with it. Is it because I'm not using a HDMI cable? Thanks.

I may be totally wrong but sounds like your tv is playing in 50hz when ntsc games are 60hz, kinda like what used 2 happen when playing ntsc games on older consoles. Not that it explains why your tennis game works :( soz just a thought

Hi Scotty. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Do you remember on Playstation/PS2 games, it used to sometimes ask which HZ you are running at? Maybe NHL 08 forces it to run at the wrong rate? Strange! :suicide:

Check the specs of the TV. As stated earlier, it sounds as though your "older" TV cannot accept 60 Hz signal. Failing that, perhaps the scart lead is knackered. Try using the composite lead supplied to see if the problem is still present.

Are you using a proper fully-wired RGB SCART cable?

Hmmm that's a good question. I am using the one that came with the PS3. It's the type of cable that before going into the TV set, it has those 3 coloured cables (yellow, white and red) and then those go into the scart interface/adaptor thing and then into the TV. How do I know if this is fully wired? Or should it be automatically if it is the one that came with the PS3?

The lead with it is a composite, with a scart adaptor. Having a fully wired RBG scart cable makes NO difference whatsoever to the image displaying in monochrome. Just make sure everything is plugged in correctly, go to the display setting in the menu to make sure the relevant settings are applied, and then retry. I don't know, but perhaps VT3 can display at either 50/60 Hz and Hockey at only NTSC standard 60 Hz. If that's the case, then there is nothing you can do about it if your TV cannot display 60hz.

Ok thanks everyone! Really appreciate the help. :thumbsup: I checked in the options and there is nothing to change the HZ. The video screen in NHL has some kind of colour palette but everything is in grey anyway hehe. I will get rid of the game now, thank you.

Having a fully wired RBG scart cable makes NO difference whatsoever to the image displaying in monochrome.

So what happens when a TV can accept a 60Hz picture, but not display NTSC colours? :lease:

My brother once bought a DVD that would only play in monochrome. When I checked the DVD it turned out to be outputting a 60Hz signal with NTSC colour. I tried connecting the player with a SCART lead and switching the signal to RGB. It fixed the problem... :thumbsup:

Also, when one of my mates first tried to play an American game on his PS1 it displayed a monochrome picture even though his TV could accept an NTSC signal. It turned out that his PS1 couldn't output NTSC colour. I suggested he bought an RGB SCART lead, as it would probably bypass the problem. It fixed the problem... :thumbsup:

Y2richie: if I were you I would definitely try an RGB cable. You should be able to pick one up very cheaply (under £10) as old PS2 RGB SCART cables are compatible with the PS3.
Even if it doesn't work with that game, its still likely to improve the picture with your other games. :)

So what happens when a TV can accept a 60Hz picture, but not display NTSC colours? :lease:

My brother once bought a DVD that would only play in monochrome. When I checked the DVD it turned out to be outputting a 60Hz signal with NTSC colour. I tried connecting the player with a SCART lead and switching the signal to RGB. It fixed the problem... :thumbsup:

Also, when one of my mates first tried to play an American game on his PS1 it displayed a monochrome picture even though his TV could accept an NTSC signal. It turned out that his PS1 couldn't output NTSC colour. I suggested he bought an RGB SCART lead, as it would probably bypass the problem. It fixed the problem... :thumbsup:

Y2richie: if I were you I would definitely try an RGB cable. You should be able to pick one up very cheaply (under £10) as old PS2 RGB SCART cables are compatible with the PS3.
Even if it doesn't work with that game, its still likely to improve the picture with your other games. :)

He has already stated that other games output in colour. This one doesn't, and it is NTSC. Perhaps the other NTSC region material will accept 50Hz. Who knows? He has already stated it is an old TV, and therefore it probably won't accept the NTSC colour signal. We know RGB will make a big difference to the picture, but also remember that SCART is a european connection and therefore does not figure into the equation of whether or not NTSC material will allow. NTSC users tended to use composite/S-video/component. The real issue here is that there are far too many standards when it comes to TV signals. A prime expample of this is the way PS3 will not really allow HD compatible screens to use hi-def, ie. the screen can accept a 1080i image, but no 720p image, therefore the image is scaled to max 480/576p. My old JVC CRT was compatible with 1125i, but not 720p. Also it would not display NTSC signals @ 6oHz through RGB scart and would revert to a composite image.

He has already stated that other games output in colour.

And all my brothers other DVDs and all mates other games all displayed in colour with a composite connection, but they were all 50Hz. So what's your point?

Anyway, I don't presume to know everything about all these connections and colour signals. But don't expect me to ignore comments - like the one I quoted in my above post - when I know them to be incorrect. Okay, it may be that an RGB SCART lead doesn't work in the case of the OP (his TV might not even accept an RGB signal). But that certainly doesn't mean that it definitely wont work.

And all my brothers other DVDs and all mates other games all displayed in colour with a composite connection, but they were all 50Hz. So what's your point?

Anyway, I don't presume to know everything about all these connections and colour signals. But don't expect me to ignore comments - like the one I quoted in my above post - when I know them to be incorrect. Okay, it may be that an RGB SCART lead doesn't work in the case of the OP (his TV might not even accept an RGB signal). But that certainly doesn't mean that it definitely wont work.

I also do not presume to know everything, and an RGB scart cable may work, but as he already owns NTSC software that does work apparently.

Also, don't forget there are 2 different NTSC signals, maybe one is accepted, but the other isn't?

Ok thanks everyone! Really appreciate the help. :thumbsup: I checked in the options and there is nothing to change the HZ. The video screen in NHL has some kind of colour palette but everything is in grey anyway hehe. I will get rid of the game now, thank you.

Just out of curiosity (and to make life a little simpler :D ), what is the TV make and model?

Also, don't forget there are 2 different NTSC signals, maybe one is accepted, but the other isn't?

Well, I don't know anything about that, but I do know that RGB is different from PAL/NTSC which is why I mentioned it. I also know that you can have PAL 60Hz as well as PAL 50Hz. I'm afraid I know little about SD resolutions on the PS3 as I've always used 720p. But I assume it would be similar to the SD resolutions of the PS2, PS1, 3DO, Jaguar, SNES, etc..

Anyway, I would recommend the OP buying an RGB SCART cable for the improvement in picture, if nothing else. :cool:

Just out of curiosity (and to make life a little simpler :D ), what is the TV make and model?

Yes, good question. It's a Samsung CI-5061A.

Thanks for all posts here everyone. I'm not sure what a scart RGB cable is but I Googled for it and I think I know. Is it this type of cable with the 4 or so connections on the TV end?
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV7405.html?id=TyEmxENL

I can't see where they would plug in to the back of my TV. I've just checked and I have one scart connection and a TV ariel connection. Is there a way of connecting those RGB cables into a scart shaped interface? haha. I know I'm probably defeating the point of RGB/pushing my luck asking this regarding my old TV set.

Thanks again everyone.

Is it this type of cable with the 4 or so connections on the TV end?
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...ml?id=TyEmxENL
No, it's just a simple cable that goes straight from your PS3 into the SCART connector of the TV. The difference between RGB SCART and the connector you're currently using is that it keeps the red, green and blue components of the video signal separate, whereas the other uses just one cable for video (the red and white connectors are used for audio)

You need something like this one: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation2/4-/115606/Joytech-RGB-Cable-With-Scart-Switch/Product.html
(yes, it says it's for the PS2, but should be compatible with the PS3/PS1 also.)

Or there's this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playstation...f=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1199524446&sr=8-3

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes, good question. It's a Samsung CI-5061A.

Thanks for all posts here everyone. I'm not sure what a scart RGB cable is but I Googled for it and I think I know. Is it this type of cable with the 4 or so connections on the TV end?
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV7405.html?id=TyEmxENL

I can't see where they would plug in to the back of my TV. I've just checked and I have one scart connection and a TV ariel connection. Is there a way of connecting those RGB cables into a scart shaped interface? haha. I know I'm probably defeating the point of RGB/pushing my luck asking this regarding my old TV set.

Thanks again everyone.

Where did you get the model number from? I googled it and it came up with the remote control!?

Where did you get the model number from? I googled it and it came up with the remote control!?

Strange. It was the model number on the back of my TV. It must be too old to get much info on. :eek:

No, it's just a simple cable that goes straight from your PS3 into the SCART connector of the TV. The difference between RGB SCART and the connector you're currently using is that it keeps the red, green and blue components of the video signal separate, whereas the other uses just one cable for video (the red and white connectors are used for audio)

Thanks Jack. I still have my PS2 so will try that cable and see how it goes and will post again with an update. Cheers, I didn't know about RGB scart. Always good to learn something.

EDIT: I just dug out my PS2 video cable and it looks the same as my PS3 one so I think I must have bought a different one for it years ago. I tried it anyway and NHL08 is in black and white so it might be because it's the exact same cable as with my PS3. I will purchase one of the cables you talked about and see if it works. A tiny price to pay to see if it will work and well worth a try. Thanks matey.

Strange. It was the model number on the back of my TV. It must be too old to get much info on. :eek:

Thanks Jack. I still have my PS2 so will try that cable and see how it goes and will post again with an update. Cheers, I didn't know about RGB scart. Always good to learn something.

EDIT: I just dug out my PS2 video cable and it looks the same as my PS3 one so I think I must have bought a different one for it years ago. I tried it anyway and NHL08 is in black and white so it might be because it's the exact same cable as with my PS3. I will purchase one of the cables you talked about and see if it works. A tiny price to pay to see if it will work and well worth a try. Thanks matey.

If interested, I have a really nice quality RGB scart cable. Much better than the official ones. I paid £15 for it when new. If you want it, £7 delivered.

He has already stated that other games output in colour. This one doesn't, and it is NTSC. Perhaps the other NTSC region material will accept 50Hz. Who knows? He has already stated it is an old TV, and therefore it probably won't accept the NTSC colour signal. We know RGB will make a big difference to the picture, but also remember that SCART is a european connection and therefore does not figure into the equation of whether or not NTSC material will allow. NTSC users tended to use composite/S-video/component. The real issue here is that there are far too many standards when it comes to TV signals. A prime expample of this is the way PS3 will not really allow HD compatible screens to use hi-def, ie. the screen can accept a 1080i image, but no 720p image, therefore the image is scaled to max 480/576p. My old JVC CRT was compatible with 1125i, but not 720p. Also it would not display NTSC signals @ 6oHz through RGB scart and would revert to a composite image.

There is a chance that the tennis game is multi purpose i.e 50/60Hz and that would explain why his tv can display a colour image with that game and not the 60hz only game that wont, also RGB scart can make a difference to displaying a colour signal, at least it did years ago when i was using import consoles like the mega drive and snes.

Mark.

If your getting a new cable just make sure its RGB enabled, some so called RGB scart cables are not...

Mark.

If your getting a new cable just make sure its RGB enabled, some so called RGB scart cables are not...

One way to be sure would be to go for a cable that features a "switch" (like the cable in my first link). I believe the reason they include these is so that you can switch from RGB to composite when viewing DVDs, as Sony disabled proper RGB playback of copyright DVDs on the PS2.

Hi lads
I received my cable today through the post and when I use it, where you would normally see the colour white, it is showing as light green. Admittedly, NHL08 looks better like this than black and white because you can see slight red/orange colouring too on the team jerseys. But I'm just going to see if there is something on the menu that I can adjust to fix the colouring. The PS3 XMB/welcome screen is in green too (where white normally is). Any ideas while I'm looking around? Thanks again. :)

UPDATE: changed the video settings on the PS3 to RGB-Scart and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NHL08 works too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom