American bought ipod

J

Juanita

I bought an mini iPod as a present when I was in America. I don't want to open the box. Is the only difference the power charger? Will a normal US/UK adaptor work with this?

I also want to get something (iRiver?) that my friend can use with the iPod in her car, can anyone recommend something that will owrk with a mini iPod?

I just brought back an iPod mini for my wife from Canada. You can use it fine over here. The power supply is multi voltage (at least mine was) check it says 100-240v 50-60Hz on it. You wll need a pin adaptor to make it fit our UK sockets of course.

You can get car kits for some vehicles that allow the thing to work in place or alongside a CD player in a car. Do a google search and they should come up

Gordon

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
You wll need a pin adaptor to make it fit our UK sockets of course.

Gordon

Alternatively, you can plug a standard 'figure 8' lead into the charger in place of the pin adaptor.

I have an American G3 iPod which works fine. The volume can go lounder on USA iPods as european ones have a limiter on them, which can be hacked. I use an iTrip in my car and you can get one for the iPod mini. You will find the manufactuers site here http://www.griffintechnology.com/ but they can be purchased on line in the UK. Be aware that their use is illegal due to a telecommunications act, but who will know when the range is so limited.

Juamita

I too have the iTrip and works fine, usually. Only problems I have is if I am travelling down the motorway and I have to retune. The presets on the car radio can be waiting for a quick change though!

A work college has his wired into his aux input on his car "stereo" and it sounds a lot better than the iTrip. I will have this done when I get my new car in January.

If you have a BMW 3, Z3, Z4, X5 or old 5 you can have it linked to the BMW system and control the iPod from the stearing wheel controls

A tip if you go for an iTrip....

Download the tones for 87.5 - 87.9 from the Griffin website (listed under "Frequencies - Other"). Your car radio should go down to 87.5 so use this clean channel instead of skipping frequencies when travelling through a cluttered dial. :lesson:

Trust the Scots to get in the way of a good idea ! ;)

Should be fine in most places elsewhere...apart from the odd pirate/RSL.

I agree with Lester.
Mine is tuned to 87.5 and this summer I went from Manchester, through Southern England, and into Western France without once having to retune. I suffered no interference.
Some users advise using mid range frequences, say 100 to 103, because they, allegedly give better stereo separation. However I can't find one in the North West that does not suffer from interference and I get fine separation from 87.5 in my Accord.

I did some tests (panned songs left and right) to see if there was a lack of stereo seperation at the edges of the dial....and it sounded the same to me me as in the middle.

But then again, in blind tests, I can't tell the difference between aac 128 and wav !! So whaddo I know ? :zonked:

I hear that it is possible to hack the iTrip to output a little more power - anybody know about this ?

applevenus said:
I hear that it is possible to hack the iTrip to output a little more power - anybody know about this ?

Yep, I sure do!!
Lindrone.gif

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom