American Beauty - Region 2 Warning!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Nov 28, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi All,

Just a warning regarding the R2 version of "American Beauty". Whilst the DVD appears to be the same (extras, wise) as the R1 version, the soundtrack is only DD 5.1 Surround, whereas the R1 version has this soundtrack, PLUS the much better 5.1 DTS soundtrack!

Also, the R2 soundtrack on the actual movie appears to be very quiet throughout, because I had to have the volume set on my TV to 3 times higher than normal!

Why do we R2 owners have to keep suffering such indignitaries?! (Less extras, lesser soundtracks, crap packaging - especially you gits at Warner Bros!)

Pooch

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the info Pooch, although I'm still having to make do without a full 5.1 system so its really not a problem for me. I have to say though that this film is one of the best things I've seen in years. It deserved every one of its Oscars!

Look closer... [​IMG]

------------------
    "What the fudge - if ya cant say it, ya can't do it..."

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Pooch ...
    This type of behaviour really annoys me & thanx for the info as I will now definately get a R1 copy (absound.ca are giving it away!)
    I was looking at the latest Disney stuff in my local Virgin Store the other day - The R2 Fantasia 2000 sucks compared to the R1 as the R2 does not have DTS and Commentaries - BTW if you're after some astounding Classical music on DVD look no further - This disc is now my ultimate music demo - The Firebird suite will literally blow you away! (watch out for the change from quiet to LOUD - I nearly [email protected] myself!! - [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

4. Timoth

Timoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, what is the deal with paying £15-&20 on a DVD in a cardboard box(R1 from WB have the same though)

5. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, I had Fantasia down as a disc to buy, because I wanted to hear the music. Does it make full use of all the speakers?

I don't think I'd watch it much though, which is why I decided against ordering it (so far).

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Stuart ...
    If you like Classical music even a little bit then F2000 is well worth buying (on R1 as I bored on earlier) I got mine from absound.ca for about £15 delivered (Disney stuff retails for £23 in the UK!)
    IMHO the disc is worth it just for the DTS sound (DD5.1 is excellent also) and I usually dont "watch" it I just listen to the music with footie or some other sport on ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."