America to make pizza and chips one of your 5-a-day?

that's the wonders of lobbying:

"It's an important victory," Corey Henry, spokesman for the American Frozen Food Institute (AFFI), told Reuters.

it's like the 1980s again when the Reagan administration got ridiculed in their failed attempt to classify ketchup as a portion of fruit and vegetable intake :eek:

EDIT: the only references I can find is that only the House has voted on this, doesn't seem to have gone to the Senate yet AFAICT

Last edited:
I had to check the date when I read this.

As if America hasn't got a bad enough obesity epidemic, they are going to allow pizza or french fries to qualify as a vegetable

Supersize: America's biggest business - Lifestyle - Independent.ie

What is the world coming to?

The government's decision to declare pizza and French fries as vegetables came after intensive lobbying efforts by the food companies that produce frozen pizzas and by potato growers across America.

So companies wanted to make more money by charging schools for their products. Who cares about the kids though the economy will have more money flowing around!

In some jurisdictions I think they already are a food? I'm sure I saw on one of the Jamie Oliver shows that his '5 veg' pasta dish did not contain the requisite serving of vegetables, but that pizza and chips did...

They refer to the tomato paste and ingredients up top, rather than the whole pizza. Potatoes can be healthy depending on how they are cooked

Would not be so ready to put Americans down. The food industry here managed to lobby against clearer food nutrition labels being introduced in the EU - all in our benefit I hasten to add - after all, what could be better for our health than not knowing something only contains 2g of fat when you do no more than touch the packaging

Apparently they managed to get the tomato sauce classified as a vegetable :confused:

Apparently they managed to get the tomato sauce classified as a vegetable :confused:

Thats no worse than a small glass of apple juice counting as a portion of fruit. As long as there is enough of it to get the vitamins and minerals out of it

Tomato sauce is made of tomato so I don't see the issue.
Pizza can also have a lot of veg on so again these count towards your five a day. The fact that it is on a pizza is irrelevant, you should still get some benefit from the veg topping.

Pizza can also have a lot of veg on so again these count towards your five a day. The fact that it is on a pizza is irrelevant, you should still get some benefit from the veg topping.

tomato sauce may be made of tomatoes but once you cook them down the nutritional value and goodness is broken down. Its the same with smoothies, you break the fruit down when its blended . It makes it quicker for the body to process and as fruitand veg is basically a carb which is , at some level a sugar , onces its broken down the body gets the sugar quicker which isnt better .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt2RP45sLE]Simpsons Quote - Purple is a Fruit... [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

Pizza as a veg - its like saying wafer thin ham is ok for vegetarians! :facepalm:

Thats if you make it at home or buy from a reputable source. These pizzas will come from members of the American Frozen Food Institute - no doubt actual veg will be long gone and repalced by sugars and flavourings. The salt content will high too.

Watching Jamie and his food revolution in America was scarey - kids in some school eating pizza for breakfast! :eek:

(....watching Jamie crying in tears when the yanks 'didn't get it' was also scarey! :D)

Would not be so ready to put Americans down.

Why not? they are stupid stupid moronic people!

Us heer in the UK/EU are much smrater :)

EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration - Telegraph

attachment.php

Attachments

• Genius.png
    Genius.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 902
Why not? they are stupid stupid moronic people!

Us heer in the UK/EU are much smrater :)

EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration - Telegraph

The EU ban of bottled water companies was to prevent stupid European consumers being misled. While the US pizza and chips are vegetables counting as one of your five a day for a healthy diet, was to mislead stupid US consumers.

The EU ban is due to the bottled water companies applying to be able to make a specific claim of medical benefit from their product. That "regular consumption of significant amounts of water can reduce the risk of development of dehydration"
They were told they could not claim it as a specific advantage of their product. Otherwise stupid EU consumers will think the bottled water is better than other water or other drinks. Or that they need to drink or have their children drink a bottle of the special magic water each day to help them stay healthy.

Reminds me of actimel and its false claims of specific medical benefit, of helping preventing illness. Claims it is now banned from making. But which it still insinuates "have you had your actimel today"

Last edited by a moderator:
They refer to the tomato paste and ingredients up top, rather than the whole pizza. Potatoes can be healthy depending on how they are cooked

Would not be so ready to put Americans down. The food industry here managed to lobby against clearer food nutrition labels being introduced in the EU - all in our benefit I hasten to add - after all, what could be better for our health than not knowing something only contains 2g of fat when you do no more than touch the packaging

what was the EU proposing that is better than what we have now? We have much better labelling that there used to be, and its perfectly clear to me how much 'stuff' is in food. Both from detailed reading of the nutritional labelling on the back, and also the silly traffic light things on the front. Not sure what more you need?

Most top professional football clubs have their players eat Pizza post match as it is one of the best energy replacement foods going for carbs and protein. But obviously they are not going to be eating it every day or a 14" family sized one to themselves. I would also hazard their Pizzas are not the sloppy Joe variety either :laugh:

I agree the Yanks are pretty good where food nutrition awareness is concerned. It's just that in the main, none of them pay attention to it which is why there are so many lard asses over there who do eat far too much junk food.

This must why I've seen so many jokes recently on different websites claiming Pizza as vegetable.

Botanically speaking they are a fruit, very few people actually realise that though.

That was 'partly' my point. By adding more fruit to something they can get it classified as a vegetable.

makes me think of this yummy goodness :smashin:

nheather said:
For god's sake, no one tell the Americans where chocolate and sugar come from :)

Cheers,

Nigel

That's if they even know what Sugar is :p considering the prevalence of stuff like Splenda and high fructose corn syrup in their drinks!

When I'm in the states, I always make sure I get the Mexican bottled version as it still contains sugar as opposed to the cheaper HFCS

It also can have a lot of dough or stuff like salt as well. I'm reminded of someone saying to Jamie Oliver that they now eat healthier. When they order a kebab they now have salad with it. In general terms I wouldn't consider it a healthy option in the same way as I wouldn't say a pint of cider counts towards my five a day.

Its ok eating tomato paste, but they will be eating the pizza base and chips and soft drink with it.

Isn't pizza one of the worst fast foods to eat?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom