Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Amelie (R2)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by EkkyP, Apr 18, 2002.

1. EkkyP

EkkyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got this DVD and was really lookng forward to it - I can't play it on my Proline 1000 player but it plays ok on my pc.....
    All my other R2 and R1 dics play fine...........
    Any ideas why? Is it to do with the copy protection or just the DTS?:confused:

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Ekky,

It could be that this particular DVD is not compatible with the ProLine 1000 machine.

Try another copy in it. If it still produces the same problems, then you won't be able to watch "Amelie" on your Proline machine, I'm afraid.

Pooch

3. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    whats this film like,
    been gonna order it a few times but never have .:rolleyes:

is it any good?
    cheers carl

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Carl,

In my opinion - which you can use in whatever way you wish - the film is good, but not great.

Yes, it's quite upbeat, and it looks nice, and the script is pretty good. However, it's certainly not the best French movie ever made, nor is it the best Foreign Language movie ever made.

You may want to rent it first, and then decide.

Also, if you do intend buying it, wait until September, when the Deluxe 2 DVD edition comes out, here in the UK!

Pooch

5. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    cheers pooch

i think ill rent first

carl

6. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its a real nice film and worthy of an oscar, but you might want to wait for the special edition which is coming out, the version just released hasn't got any real extras. :rolleyes:

7. Chris Bellamy

Chris Bellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree with PoochJD, it's a very nice film, very definately worth seeing, but it's perhaps not the top drawer: for me, it lacked the bite of the virtually perfect Delicatessen (which I think is out on DVD now) which preceeded it. I'd recommend it.

Not being able to get to the cinema these days, and very keen to see the film, I went out and bought the disk straight off: unless you're competent with French, the subtitles come thick and fast at times (nice script), and I think you need to see the film a couple of times to fully take in all the wonderful visuals and photography: Paris looks marvellous (but I suppose it is already that). My system (29" TV) isnt good enough to tell you how well the film is transferred to disc, I'm afraid.

Chris

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    My cheeks hurt. I've been smiling (and laughing) for the best part of two hours. Why? Just watched the French movie, Amelie (R2 french DTS with English subtitles).
    What can I say. Another superb continental film.

Hollywood (and to some extent the British film industry) make some great films. Heck with the available talent and greenbacks do they have any excuse otherwise.
    Even so the Hollywood (or Brit) crowd just dont make films like this. I would put this movie up there with many other continental masterpieces such as Italys 'Cinema Paradiso'.

How would I describe 'Amelie'? Charming, funny, heartwarming, fun, clever, brilliant, and fullfilling. I won't go into the storyline suffice to say its not your everyday boy meets girl movie.

I found the filming (2.35-1 ratio) very contemporary in style with a fair number of pleasing effects. Everything seemed to have a deliberate colour push (a bit like Moulin Rouge) but with a green tint throughout the film. This was not unpleasent and actually complimented the movies quirky style. The Transfer was mostly stunning (on my 32" wide screen) with superb depth and detail.
    The DTS soundtrack (DD only for R1) was the cherry on top. With a superb score it lifted the whole experience even further.

Forget waiting for R1 on July 16th. Buy the region 2 version NOW.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What I find fascinating is the filmography of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the director of Amelie.
    During the nineties he directed Delicatesen and The City of Lost Children which in my opinion were two absolutely fantastic films, the latter being one of my all time favourites.
    Then he went to Hollywood and made Alien Resurrection which I have to say I rate as just about the worst film ever made.
    Then he followed up that aberration with Amelie which by all accounts is a masterpiece (I unfortunately haven't seen it yet).
    It cannot be doubted what a great director Jeunet is, so I guess, for me, this reflects just how hard it is to make a studio film in Hollywood.

I am very much looking forward to seeing Amelie soon, Alien 5 on the other hand, I think I will pass!

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    She has a horrible day, screamed most of it.:(

Mind you she is only 4.5 months now;)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Just wait until she's two as she'll be much, much worse

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, just when I needed them;)

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0