AMD X2 or Intel Dual Core for Photoshop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Brakeinup, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking in to upgrading my wifes PC. Its primary function is to process digital RAW images in CS1, batch job processing etc for 100's of images at a time (school photography and weddings).

In your technical opinion, what would be the best path: AMD X2 or Intel Dual core?

And why would you choose the cpu.

For info, the system will not be used for anything other than imaging and email/internet.

Thanks

2. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    A single core CPU should be more than up to the job, an Intel CPU with HT should more than be enough, but it really depends on what's more cost effective, a Pentium
    D 2.8GHZ is faster than a single core 3.6 GHZ P4, and it's around £180 so best off getting the Dual Core...also make sure you got at least 1GB of RAM and a 7200RPM hard drive with an 8MB cache, if it's speed she's after then get a 10'000 RPm HAad Drive Wester Digital do a 74GB one for around £130, yes it's expensive but fast...Pentium Dual Cores are Cheaper than AMD's so I'd say go with that...but it's still over the top, how big are the images 60MB each?...

3. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 to 25 MB depending on size and colour.

If we have a lot of images to process then we need to crunch it through as fast as possible.

The 2ghz cpu and a gig of ram is not quite quick enough.

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,350
    I couldn't honestly comment about AMD vs Intel....If you already have a motherboard then that could sway the direction....

I've got the Pentium D 820, the dual core 2.8 version...My reference is my 3.4EE laptop and an AMD Barton 2500...In normal e-mail and internet there isn't any difference noticeable to be honest...But the dual-core does seem more responsive overall, just that instant reaction you get....Then moving to a multi-threaded application like Photoshop, Windows Media Player etc and the thing is just screaming ahead of my other systems...The ease of the number crunching is just amazing...I shoot RAW on my Nikon...Photoshop itself is just so response, though I don't think ACR is multithread (yet?) as the conversion process itself doesn't seem that much faster than my 3.4EE....So if you are after faster batched conversion you may want to look at other conversion tools depending on your RAW format....

The Intel D820 is also suprisingly cool running, my real life test allows for a silent HTPC..At idle temperature is 28 Degrees and using the passmark stresstest it only goes up to 42 or 43 (I can't remember) degrees...

I could have been swayed by the AMD dualcore (X2 3800) but as I bought my D820 for £164 inc VAT I just couldn't see the logic of spending another £80...But it may be different for you if you already have an AMD 939 motherboard...

I hope this rambling makes sense ;-)

BTW I bough my CPU here...http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...147&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11147,4294958563

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Going back to what meansizzler mentioned about HDs - I don't see raptors the best option anymore - if you can afford it get a couple of scsi drives or if not something like the samsung spinpoints, they're only 7200rpm but SATAII, NCQ and large platter size makes up for it with good GB per pound.

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,350
    Hard disk true...but I also noticed another big difference in Photoshop with lots of memory....There was a significant increase when I went from 512Mb to 2Gb....So an intel with DDR2 667 memory will squeeze some more speed out of it....

With the SATAII drives, make certain AAM is switched of if you don't mind the noise...This will get some more speed....

7. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some good information here - thanks!

I have been down the SCSI road myself but found them too noisy and the requirement for cooling just added to the noise.

It looks like the Intel cpu is a good choice, plus I can use DDR2. But I don't mind spending a bit extra on the AMD hardware as long as we get the results we want.

2 gig of ram would go without saying for the new setup, possibly 4. All sat on SATA2 drives if available.

Or should I get my wife a Mac?

>>joke<< :)

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,350
    Yeah just get her a Mac ;-)

Or, unless she already has got an hi-res monitor, I do like my Dell Inspiron 9100 for Photowork...My laptop has got a 1920x1200 screen built-in which is just so useful with Photoshop....Also has 4 USB2 ports ideal for a Graphite and additional external hard-disk for projects....

9. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She has a hi res CRT designed for photo work (has a light hood etc) which has been professionally colour calibrated.

I will price up some of the bits later and see what the costs are going to be...

10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,350
    Interesting, I don't know how relevant it is as with colour calibration it gets out of my league ;-) But I did notice that some of the Nvidia graphics cards are ISF certified...Has she got that as well? Sounds like an awesome setup....

11. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment we have a P4 2gig pc with a gig of ram, lots of IDE storage. The monitor does a great job coupled with a nvidia 5700. What we see on the screen colour wise is what we get (most of the time) on the prints from the lab.

Work in RAW format from the 300D means there are a lot of large images that get batch jobs applied to them. Dual core should help a lot in CS coupled with 2gig of ram.

Just need to check the bank...

12. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I will research the Samsung drives.