AMD Vs Intel In HTPC Builds

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by JFRTDI, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    After recently deciding to venture into the HTPC scene and having read various posts, searched various subjects and looked at many peoples own personal builds.

It seems that 9 times out of 10, everyone favours a AMD CPU / Mobo over an Intel alternative.

Is their any specific reason for this?

2. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Price! AMD boards are helluva lot cheaper than atom/i3 boards!

3. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    In what sense though? For example

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H-USB3, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA II - 3Gb/s, PCIe (x16), D-Sub/DVI-D/HDMI, Micro ATX
    Intel Pentium G620, S 1155, Dual Core 2.60GHz, 3MB Smart Cache, 65W, Retail

£93.87

Is their a cheaper AMD alternative that is just as good or better? Or is it just people prefer the AMD for whatever reasons as its better at certain things depending on what its being used for?

4. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    You might as well ask what's good about Apple computers - AMD fans seem to be as committed to their cause as the Apple disciples (hard hat on!)

If either was much better than the other then nobody would buy the other one, and they'd go out of business. As they're both in business it's fair to assume they both sell pretty decent products.

I had an Intel PC, then AMD ones. I've been using Intel for a few years now, mainly out of laziness as I've lost track of AMD's product line-up.

5. kimmetje

kimmetje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'd strongly recommend getting an Asus motherboard - they offer an excellent features-list for the price and have a very rich line-up both on the AMD and Intel sides.

It all depends a little bit on where you intend to place the motherboard and stuff...

At the moment the price difference between an AMD and an Intel are present but not excessive, and certainly lower than they have been in the past. Whilst AMD were a good choice some years ago because they could keep up with Intels at a lower-price range, this is not the case for the time being.

The latest AMD processors are currently performing better for intense processing work (stuff you'd see done in a corporate environment) but are slower for day-to-day use that you'd see in a home. Intel processors perform great for day-to-day use and as a result generally Intel sandybridge processors and motherboards are what custom-builders would be recommending.

6. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    :smashin: Thanks for that, informative and gives me an idea as too why, some of the threads i was looking at were a year or two old so may explain why more people had AMD and as you say, Intel sandybridge seems to be the more common choice these days

7. spacemanc

spacemanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    AMD are still better value as a complete package - and they always price their products so they're better value, until you get upto the £150+ range. I'm pretty sure I've posted a cheap AMD build twice now in your other thread which compares well with the Intel build you've posted above?

Also I agree with kimmetje about the boards. ASUS are the best boards with maybe MSI and GIGABYTE in second. Many people say MSI are unreliable, but I've always found them to be great. After completing several builds with GIGABYTE boards in the last few months and having to return 3 of them, my confidence in their quality has been severely shaken (to be fair I've also had to return an ASUS board).

8. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    You sure did, im not specifically looking for more recommendations as ive got enough of the other thread, the main point was trying to find out why or if there is a reason as to why ppl pick one over the other :smashin:

9. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,347
    The latest AMD processors are currently performing better for intense processing work (stuff you'd see done in a corporate environment) but are slower for day-to-day use that you'd see in a home. Intel processors perform great for day-to-day use and as a result generally Intel sandybridge processors and motherboards are what custom-builders would be recommending.

How did you work that one out. AMD are better in the work place and Intel are better home PC's.
    If I was building a gaming rig then I would choose a Intel processor.
    If I was building a HTPC I would still choose AMD. AMD have made the new APU (yes APU) as an exact example of the what is needed to drive a entertainment PC at low power but still with a little bit of grunt for basic games. For out and out HTPC (Very low power) them look at AMD NEO (Hudson) or Intel Atom assisted by NVIDIA ION.

10. kimmetje

kimmetje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It will in any case all come down to price, I'm sure! On the record, I've always liked an AMD machine - I started researching for a new rig a couple months ago and though I was going to go down the AMD route but the research drove me away from AMD for the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

I'd read tons of reviews on the new AMD Bulldozer processors vs the Sandybridge and that's what my research summarised down to, to be fair I was indeed looking at a gaming rig use, so I'm sure what you've said is just as valid.

11. kimmetje

kimmetje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sure thang! Yes, a few years back research made me pick AMD. Today it made me pick Intel. And I think all the advice here certainly should help flesh it out even more.

12. lbstyling

lbstyling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Horses for courses but I will say that the intel sandybridge is marketed as a low energy product that requires less cooling and therefore quieter fan in a like for like build, and should save power over the current competition in a general sense. Also they are designed to handle hdmi protocally within the chip- so hd audio and video is natively supported by all intel sandybridge units.

Dont know that much about the current amd designs- but historically they are more powerful for the money and tweekable.

13. jimwalsh

jimwalsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    horses for courses innit...

the AMD fusion is perfect for a low powered htpc build. the ASUS amd fusion is completely passive (quiet) and does everything you need for an HTPC. integrated graphics HD6310 (no problems with refresh rates) add some ram and all you need is an ssd and a decent case for a silent htpc. My Panasonic plasma on mute is noisier than the HTPC I have built. It handles 1080p without breaking sweat and runs XBMC with the pretty skins flawlessly.

I am no AMD fan boy though as my gaming PC is an intel i7 and if you want a gaming htpc than intel is probably the way to go. Personally I value the silence of the fusion build.