Quantcast

AMD Phenom 3.72 vs i5 3.4???

SeaFirelIV

Hi guys. A question. Probably a dumb question since I`m a bit ut of the loop.

I`m thinking of upgrading to something, such as the Intel CPU i5-4670K 3.4GHz Socket 1150 Quad Core Haswell, But i`m confused...

I`ve got an AMD Phenom 4 core @ 3.72 ghz. But the ghz of my present CPU is better than that of the Haswell at 3.4 ghz!

What`s going on? The Haswell must be better, but the numbers don`t make sense, since my Phenom has the higher Ghz.

Thanks in advance.

spyder viewer

It's to do with architecture, years ago (pentium1,2 days) AMD were always faster in processing data than Intel because AMD could perform one complete instruction in 4 internal cycles as opposed to 5 cycles for intel. As a result, AMD used to rate their cpus not in clock frequency but using a scale that gave the equivalence to Intel chips.

Now intel cpus have got multiple cores, hypethreading etc so are able to do 3-4 instructions per cycle but AMD are only doing 2/3rds the Intel rate.

SeaFirelIV

It's to do with architecture, years ago (pentium1,2 days) AMD were always faster in processing data than Intel because AMD could perform one complete instruction in 4 internal cycles as opposed to 5 cycles for intel. As a result, AMD used to rate their cpus not in clock frequency but using a scale that gave the equivalence to Intel chips.

Now intel cpus have got multiple cores, hypethreading etc so are able to do 3-4 instructions per cycle but AMD are only doing 2/3rds the Intel rate.
Ok, I think I understand... so the Intels are on average a third faster when compared AMD now?

spyder viewer

Well, there's a lot more than my simple explanation. With single core operations, it's straight clock speed so invariably Intel wins however with multi-core operations, the AMD FX 8350, with it's 8 cores can sneak ahead. However the issue then is whether applications can exploit that number of cores.

Intel Core i5 3570K vs AMD FX 8350
AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i5-3570K

Then there's the effects of the surrounding components and also what you want to do with it.

spyder viewer

Also, your Phenom is 5 year old technology so difficult to compare with modern chips. Bet it keeps you nice and warm though!

SeaFirelIV

Also, your Phenom is 5 year old technology so difficult to compare with modern chips. Bet it keeps you nice and warm though!
I guess. It still runs most programs pretty well, even the un-optimised RTW2... But you do notice it chug in intense stuff now.

Thanks for the links, I shall bring myself up to date.:smashin: