AMD kit for server use, but which?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jammyb2004, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Hey!

Looking into AMD solutions for server use. But not sure on which models are the ATOM equilvalent energy efficient models!

There is this bundle but not sure! - Ebuyer Mobile

Liking the 6 SATA ports!

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,347
    Try looking at this.
    HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer - £100.. | Ebuyer.com you got till the end of the month to get £100 cashback.
    Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 - Licence and media.. | Ebuyer.com
    Add another 2gig of DDR3 and you have a great server.
    I put the 250G drive in a caddy and connected it to the SATA socket that is spare on the MBoard. StarTech Serial ATA Drive Drawer with Shock Absorbers.. | Ebuyer.com
    You then end up with 4 bays to install your hard drives in and a E-SATA socket on the back to add yet more.
    We Got Served
    Windows Home Server 2011 - Microsoft Windows

3. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I'm looking at motherboards/bundles and specifically AMD ones as they have SIX SATA PORTS plus I can add in PCI cards with 4 more ports and total up to 14 drives.

I didn't mention microservers as they're too small!

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,347
    A Microserver can hold upto 5 3Tb drives = 15TB, how much do you need?

5. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Well the case I have can hold 14 drives and I currently have 6 fitted in it.

I dont need guidance on a microserver, hard drives or space or cases. Just motherboards/processors.

I want to know which AMD boards/processors are energy efficient. Is the one I linked in my OP an energy efficient spec or should I be looking at AM2??

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316

No, it isn't!
    The energy efficient models from AMD have a small "e" after the model number

eg 245e, 620e etc

However these have been phased out now in favour of AMD's newer lines, so you may have to hunt around. The Sempron 145 is probably the lowest power AMD offering at the moment, but even that won't compete with Intel's latest low power offerings (eg Pentium G620T), either on performance or power consumption - though it is cheaper!
    AMD's current lineup looks a bit weak in this area compared to Intel.

Unless you are on a tight budget, I'd be inclined to hunt down an Intel board with six SATA ports, and pair that with a Pentium G620T.
    There are a couple of H67 based MATX boards for around £60 which feature 6x SATA ports (eg MSI H67MA-E35 - also has USB3 too), the G620T is around £60 too, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM is about £20, so total cost is around the same as the AMD bundle you linked to, though the AMD bundle does have a moderately higher performance CPU (it's an older tech, but it's quad core vs the Pentium's dual core - however unless you are doing HD video transcoding on the fly, then a quad core simply isn't needed, and that quad core may eat up to 3x the power of the Pentium)

7. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    finally! an answer i'm looking for!

the servers current usage is usenet and streaming 1080p MKVs to a revo. its a P4 3GHz at the moment on 24/7. but i feel guilty having that power hog running all the time so want to look at lower power alternatives. the ATOM boards are overpriced and don't seem to have many PCI or SATA slots whereas AMD seem to have cottoned on to customer requirements with 6 SATA slots!

USB3 would be nice as every drive has its own mirrored drive kept off site and i connect them by USB so i can get a USB3 dock for not a lot to do the backups quicker!

not really looking at performance for encoding/ripping. its just on all the time and is only basic in its functions. i remote desktop into it and only see it once a month or so (its in the garage out back wired by cat5)

i'll look at the models you've suggested and 'e' models :) i'm not bothered if its eBay second hand kit as long as it works lol!

cheers!

8. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
  9. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Any suggestions on any ATOM boards with 6 SATA and USB3??

10. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    grounded it down to £100.....

1x *Ex-Display* AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz Socket AM3 1MB.. | Ebuyer.com
    1x Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 880G Socket AM3+ Onboard VGA.. | Ebuyer.com
    1x EXTRA VALUE 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module 1.5V CL9 | Ebuyer.com

same mobo, next model down processor and 1 stick of cheaper ram @ 2GB!

gives me 6no SATA ports on board, USB3 and all for £100!

even has HDMI, almost ashame it'll never get used lol.

so thats a 45w chip, as opposed to the 82w running in the garage as we speak, that's a bit better isn't it?

11. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    That motherboard only has 5 SATA ports, not 6, at least according to Gigabyte's site (though it does have an eSATA port on the back panel too)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 1.x)

You could have a look at the Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 - it has six internal SATA ports and USB3 (and is £15 cheaper too - Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G AM3+ mATX Motherboard - Scan.co.uk ).
    Be aware though that this, like most of the more recent motherboards, no longer features IDE, so that might be an issue.

The TDP of the CPU is only a guide as to the max power any cooling system should be designed to deal with - most recent CPUs have features which allow them to run much lower than their max power for much of the time.

12. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    The eSATA port isn't a problem, I've got leads and converter leads and wasn't a problem.

The asus one i do like but after carriage its only a fiver cheaper! Unless you can lower the postage costs on their site? I dunno, probably go the asus route. All boards have been Asus!

Cheers for the help though matey!

Edit - asus one on amazon free postage - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/B0054U7HIO/ref=aw_d_ol

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012