AMD Cpu temp help! Mini Ninja not working?

BiffBoy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just installed a Mini Ninja (without the 80mm fan) for my AMD BE-2350 2.1ghz cpu and 2 Noctua 120mm fans in my case.

At the moment I am looking at the Bios screen and it shows the system temp at 41C and the CPU at 73C...I am a bit worried!

I can hear the fans running but something is amiss here - help!

I'm also struggling to get the 2x 120mm fans to work with Speedfan - I have one plugged into the cpu fan header and one into the system fan header which are the only two I can find. I am using the blue adaptor that comes with the fans to run them at the slower 900rpm.

I cant understand why my low powered be-2350 is running so hot just in the bios with a great big mini ninja on it....:suicide:

EDIT - the 2 x 120mm fans are set with the one enarest the heatsink blowing in and the other sucking out.

Last edited:
have you applied the thermal paste correctly, i.e less is more?

I would also feed both your system fans into the system fan header on the mobo rather than using the cpu header.

There is definitely something amiss here, my 5050e with stock cooler runs at 32C and system is 37C

I used the thermal paste that came with the Ninja and smoothed it out well making sure I covered the whole area that will be touching the CPU. There was not that much so it was spread thin but even.

TBH once you push really hard to get the Ninja on (I really worry when I have to clip on heatsinks!) the paste would be squashed flat.

Also - whats the best way to set up my 2 case fans if I have them both attached to the system fan header together? One in and one out, both in, both out?

Both out I guess would help curtail the huge amount of dust that was in the case I suppose!

Last edited:
I think you need to check that your cooler is on properly & re-think your fans.

I've got exactly the same case -both case fans should be sucking out hot air and pulling cool air accross your hard drives & graphics card and then past your cooler, It is the fundemental design of this brilliant case!

With one fan in & the other one out directly next to it they will just be cycling most the cool fresh air straight back out of the case
-you will have still air at your hard drives & over graphics card, tuner card etc.

Just checking, you have put the extendable black plastic baffel in?
-This forces air past the processor cooler.

I also have Noctura's, the Antec ones were not good! -the one nearest the rear of the case is plugged into the motherboard as a system fan & the other is on all the time being fed from a molex -both are run through Zalman fan mates set to low and as you already know are inaudable.

I am currently running the stock AMD fan & cooler on my 5050e, its on constantly and is destined for replacement... definately thinking about the mNinja but my head is being turned by the Zipang, if it will fit!

The heatsink compound ideally should be a VERY light and even smearing. It is there to compensate for the manufacturing defects of the CPU and heatsink, that is, neither surefaces are PERFECTLY smooth, so the interface material acts as a conductor, though it isn't as efficient as pure metal to metal contact.

As you are using Speedfan, dispense with the in-line resistor. Speedfan will regulate based on temperatures.

Try running the Ninja with a fan, see if temps improve with the case lid of (free-air). If not, then your mounting/paste needs looking at. If temps settle nicely, then you need active cooling, not passive, though with your CPU this is doubtful.

As Shazzam said, the case is designed for the 120mm fans to pull air through the entire system, so do that first.

Thanks for the info :smashin: Going to have to get the cabinet out yet again..grrrrrrr.

Just checking, you have put the extendable black plastic baffel in?
-This forces air past the processor cooler.

For some reason I took this out as I thought it wouldn't be needed as a lot of people run this cpu with the Ninja only, but I will put it back as what you say makes sense.

both case fans should be sucking out hot air and pulling cool air accross your hard drives & graphics card and then past your cooler,

again that makes perfect sense - after not a huge amount of sleep last night (thanks to my 11 week old) I am really not thinking straight today!

Thanks for the help - off to pull it all out again (which is a major pain in the butt) and see what happens!

As you are using Speedfan, dispense with the in-line resistor. Speedfan will regulate based on temperatures.

Do you have any idea on how to then set up Speedfan to control the system fan?

Last edited:
quick update:

Wiggled the Ninja around as it was a right pain trying to unclip it and I reckon I may have evened out the thermal compound as the cpu temp is now 22C, system at 31C.

I set up one of the Noctua's as a system fan and Speedfan is controlling that no problem. I have this at 0% at the mo!!

The other fan is running full speed and attached straight into a power plug, is there anyway of controlling the speed of this one too this way as it's pretty noisy with all that air rushing around the PC? :eek:

Had the same problem with my Mini ninja, was getting really hot temps. I took it off and realised one of the clips was set to middle meaning it wasn't pushed down enough. Changed it, now getting good temps

all sorted now, had a major worry when the power supply for my 1TB WD went pop (it's full of TV shows, movies, pictures you name it....)

Fortunatly found another one that works and going to order a new one. Almost flipped out there as I'd really had enough!

Thanks for all the help guys.

all sorted now, had a major worry when the power supply for my 1TB WD went pop (it's full of TV shows, movies, pictures you name it....)

Fortunatly found another one that works and going to order a new one. Almost flipped out there as I'd really had enough!

Thanks for all the help guys.

For future reference put "File Scavenger" in your memory banks, I had a WD 500GB full of movies and it failed file scavenger was the only thing that allowed me to retrieve the lot with ease :)

unfortunately the power supply was shot so I couldnt even boot it up! If the place I bought it from (Come, I know I know...! But it was cheapest there.) wouldn't give me another cable then I would have broken it open to get the drive out.

It's contents are more valuable to me than the drive.

I remember once years ago when I was dabbling with Linux I managed to completely wipe my entire PC, with no backup. I really did nearly almost cry. My wife even remembers that day :rotfl:

In the end I managed to boot with Linux run from a DVD, get on the net to download a DOS recovery program and had it scan my HDD's for a couple of days with all the files randomly dumped onto one of my partitions i lost some stuff but got most back. Since then I backup/

But what do you do when your WD Backup drive goes down....panic :suicide:

The other thing I noticed was that with cool and quiet turned on, speedfan wouldn't control the fan temps.

But I had fans the wrong way round, and in the end I just left cool and quiet to it and removed speed fan.

I've actually only got one of the Noctuas plugged in and sucking air out of the case as the other one set to always on as there is not enough motherboard fan sockets was too noisy. Well, the fan was silent but the amount of air being sucked was noisy.

With the Mini Ninja and speedfan controlling the one fan the temp is around 40c ish when being used for games or HD, but most of the time the fan runs at 5% or 10% :smashin:

Not sure whether to bother getting a splitter and running both fans off the motherboard system fan header or not bother with the other fan? Seems a shame to have a £15 fan sitting in the case not even powered up and working!

I would go for a splitter dude, same airflow across two fans will produce far less noise than it would using a single fan. :thumbsup:

Hi,

if money is no object, you could try the
mCubed HFX 113 T-Balancer BigNG Cooling Controller, its the ultimate in controllability for system fans.

Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom