1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amd Athlon Fx55

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Mark H99, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have one of the above in their rigs?? I'm just in the process of re-building my Pc and all I'm waiting on is the processor. If you have one, wher did you get it and are they in stock ?? many thanks!!!

I have a MSI K8N diamond mobo
    HSI X850XT dual DVI graphics card
    2GB of Corsair XMS PC3200 memory
    1 x 74 GB Western Digital "Raptor"
    1 x 120 GB Diamond max HD

and I'm just waiting for a processor, I'm tempted to go with the 4000+ Socket 939 if I can't find an FX55
    :lease:

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be onest in my Oppinion the FX range is not worth the huge amount extra for the small perfomance boost you get

Of course different people different oppinions but i would go for the 4000+ if you can find a decent price

3. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I've been thinking about it but am under the impression that it's just a rebadged FX53? and its about £50 less than an FX55 and i figured if i was paying £500 for a processor, I'd just as well go an extra £50, but I just can't find one

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At £50 more then yes defo go for the FX55 as they have unlocked multipliers and can be overclocked the 4000+ does not and the multipler can only be lowered

Was not aware there was only £50 between them however good luck finding one as there in very short supply

5. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    My opinion - save the cash and get a winchester 3500+

If you are after the fastest machine ... then you are never going to beat the over clockers - you need to go out and buy yourself a vapo or pommie evaporator setup.

If want stonking performance - and not being stupid over price - the 3500+ is a damn good processor - tie that in with your gfx card and you will still have a huge frame rate machine.

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where have you seen the FX55 for £500?

From what i can see its over £100 more than the 4000+ at nearly £600

P.S Athlon 64's are superb chips well happy with my 3500+

7. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a 3200 athlon fx 64 socket 754 and a 9800 pro, but I've sold them, I starting up a hobby business and I want to build a high end gaming machine for demo's / game fares / lan parties. I'm not a 100% on the £50 difference but It was Over Clockers
    I'm tempted to buy a lower spec CPU until the FX drops a bit, or is actually available :p

edit no your right it's a£100 diff, maybe I'll go for the 4000+

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Add an LG L4200A 42" LCD Monitor and you have a pretty decent rig there! :thumbsup:

9. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LoL, I'm going for the Sagem HD D45, when I finally get to demo one, unless Panni bring out that DLP set somebody posted in the DLP section - loved the look of that baby :offtopic: :oops:

10. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think anyone should go for the 64bit chips just yet. It's going to be a while before the next Windows appears, and even longer before companies star making use of the 64bit libraries, and by then the chips will be sold at a reasonable price

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think the AMD 64s are reasonable

They start from £105 (Socket 939) £75 (Socket 754)

Yes they can go to insane amounts but the performance/Price compared to p4s is loads better they are great chips and damm fast in 32Bit so no 64Bit is not really a problem, but at least you will get a nice boost when everything does turn to 64Bit

Also Windows XP 64Bit is due out 2nd quater of 2005 not long to go now you can even download the beta version from microsoft for free but although there are Chipset and Gfx drivers available finding other drivers is not easy but they will be ready for the launch of the OS

12. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Said I've been running XP64 beta for about 6 months, and it's getting better every day, more and more drivers and software is being released, and £ for £ they are a better processor than the pentiums, and if you think an FX55 is expensive take a look at the P4EE

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    The less expensive 64 bit chips - ie the 3500+ and lower, are better performers at 32 bit than their 32 bit only counter parts.
    Its not a case of them not being utilised.

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with that - the AMD64 chips address some important memory issues the old XP chips had and now the winchester core has excellent thermal properties compared to earlier athlon designs and particularly the P4's.

Now you can get a Winchester AMD64 3000+ socket 939 for around £100 it's a no brainer - I wouldn't consider any other platform. Even the 3500+ is reasonably priced at £200 and gives monster performance for the money. I'd admit that if I could afford to do it I'd get the FX55 but I'd have to be pretty comfortable to justify the relatively small performance boost for the huge outlay in money - £588 at ebuyer (when they have any!)

15. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even my S754 3000+ keeps very cool with Zalman cooler, 2x 120mm fans in the case. They are set to make minimum noise. S939 must be crazy..