1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Athlon 64, Intel Pentium 4/HT or M

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone, I plan on getting a new laptop in a few weeks, but don't know which to proccesor to consider most. I have £1000 to spend on a laptop, just in case any1 wants to reccomend me one. My ebarrasing current computer is:

1100MHZ Intel Pentium Celeron 128KB L2 cache 100MHZ FSB Proccesor
    128MB Sync DRAM
    20GB Ultra DMA Hard drive
    3D Intel Direct AGP

I want at least a Pentuim 4 2.9GHZ (Prefered HT) or M 1.6GHZ (Or equivilent to AMD). Can someone tell me how to calculate AMD MHZ? And finally to the point, which is better? Thanks

2. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to say whta I use it for. I will be converting video and audio. And Possibly playing intense games. I have become an incredibly power-hungry user, so dont go easy on me cause of my current system. Just tell me which is best. Thanks

3. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I will be converting video and audio. And Possibly playing intense games

for converting video (presume from camcorder) - you may need to look at what connections the laptop has. This could take the form of Firewire400 (for direct digital transfer) or svideo.
    For this type of work you generally need a fast CPU (HT's work well) and fast, large capacity hard drive.

also for playing the latest and greatest games you may need to set your sights (and your budget) a bit higher.

have a look at these two sites for some example gaming laptops - although there are plenty of other manufacturers to choose from.
    Personally I only buy Toshiba but I don’t use a laptop for what you want one for.
    Alienware
    Savrow

4. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, I meant converting from format from format. I will Rip DVD's or download videos and convert them. I presume that a faster proccesor will work the same too. I think you got the wrong idea when I said "Intense". I dont mean really really intense, I mean just above the average usage of the average person (For example).

I cannot go higher than £1000, partly because I am not responsible for buying it (My kind mother wants to buy me one, shes so nice). If a playstation 2 (Really intense gaming I would assume) only has 32 or 64MB graphics memory (Not sure which) , why does pcs/laptops need so much more? Dont it have the RAM to keep everything else that is running?

Anyway, for a grand I could get Pentium M running at 1.7GHZ (Which according to a review I just read, it performs similar to a 3.06 Pentium 4), 512MB RAM and 128MB Graphics.

5. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Consoles can run games very well as that is all they have to do, a PC has got Windows etc running in the background and has a much more complicated architecture chewing up valuable resources. Consoles (non modified) also play at lower, TV suitable resolutions than PCs.

My current laptop has a 1.8 Pentium M (745 Dothan) CPU with a 32Mb GeForce FX card - and I would not use it for any serious gaming (it struggles with some advance WM Player 10 visualisations).

I have an xbox myself (basically a PC) - and for game playing it is very good. However a high spec PC will always out perform a console graphically as PC graphics cards are now well ahead of what was launched in the current consoles several years ago. Xbox2 / PS3 are at least another year away.

I think you should do a bit more research on PC gaming and the various flavours of video cards available. Tom's Hardware Guide is a good place to start. I am just a bit worried about your interpretation of "intense" and I would not want you to be dissapointed with your purchase.

Ripping DVD's (that you own) or transcoding video to other formats will be fine on a 1.7M but again a faster CPU will help.

6. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me just ask some questions to help me choose the laptop. I do not have much experience using high spec computers.

HSC, you said you have a 32MB Graphics and is good, I suppose a 64MB would be good also, or should I stick to 128MB Graphics?

Is 512MB RAM good? As there are only a few laptops with 1024MB RAM.

Could anyone reccomend me any laptops that do not go over a grand? Or maybe somewhere I could look (Preferred where I could design my own laptop)?

How do you compare Intel MHZ's to AMD's whatever they call it? Which is best overall (If P4 and Athlon was both running at 3GHZ, which would be better for home entertainment?)

Thanks in advance. Please, any information will be appreciated.

7. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    the amount of video memory is one of the major factors in graphics performance - others being GPU (graphics processing unit), memory speed, clock speed, bus type etc etc.

The major players in the graphics world are ATI and Nvidia. Both offer laptop video cards such as the Mobility Radeon and the GeforceGo. Which offer reasonably good video performance.

The Intel vs. AMD arguement is a bit long winded for this thread - my personal preference has been the Intel M - but I use a laptop for everything but games. The Intel Dothan offers a good balance of performance vs. power consumption/heat.

It seems to me you need more of a "Desktop Replacement" than a "laptop" - and therefore I would say look at a laptop with a P4 processor rather than an M which will give you more power and better gaming performance.
    I also gather this £1k issue is going to be hard to overcome.

Another quick look on the internet has brought up the following specification for £1k which looks very good for the money.

Toshiba Satellite P30-110 XPHome
    P4 3.2
    512MB
    60GB
    DVD-RW
    17.0" WXGA+ 1440x900 TFT Display
    56k LAN 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless LAN
    Works Suite
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB 8xAGP

I am a bit of a Toshiba man myself (I am currently using an M200 and I have my previous laptop 5100-501 acting as a server). Hence I may be slightly biased.

There are other manufacturers laptops available for the money so shop around.
    Let me know if this fits the bill.

8. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its actually a "Peice of sh*t" replacement, my old computer is getting slower by the mili-second :mad: . If I find a good Pentuim M, would it affect the gaming? You said P4 will give me more power, but you make it sound like PM isnt good for as you said "Desktop replacement". I take it that games rely more on the speed, not the L2 Cache (As I know PM has twice the cache as P4).

How do I compare P4 to Athlon?

The laptop, A 17 inch wide? thats crazy (In a good way). Proccesor sound powerful too. But for a 1K, I can get 1024MB RAM, with a slightly slower proccessor. Or is it the proccesor that counts more in computers? But if 512MB is good, laptop is perfect:thumbsup: .

About the graphics, is 64MB able to play good games? Such as need for speed Underground 2? (Its a Game that was originally on the PS2), or a game that has been put into PC format from PS2 (Not by me, the guys who make them)?

Im gonna do searches for laptops and compare to the Toshiba, but please awnser early so that I know what to look for. Thanks

9. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    In terms of raw processing power the P4 will definatly outgun the P-M and give you 2x-3x the frame rates.
    The M will perfom at its best in everyday use - just keep in mind that for gaming a laptop is a compromise (performance, upgradability)

It should be fine for most games (very few require you to have more than 64Mb video memory) - have a browse round some game sites/shops to give you an idea - frame rates will be your main problem.

the P4 wil also be on a faster bus and possibly have faster memory (which mean information is passed to the CPU faster).
    More RAM will never hurt (but should not make your games faster) and an extra 512mb should not cost more than £60 and you can always add it later.

Forgot to mention warranty - most only come with 1 year, may or may not be an issue to you.

10. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Collected a bunch of Laptops and saved them. Now need to decide which...

I have found how to work out AMD Athlon MHZ - (3000+/1.5) + (500/1.5). 3200+ being the number of the proccesor. Are they lower for a reason? Compared to Current P4 they seem slow.

I have seen this - http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=12773 - But the proccesor is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor which is only 2.333 GHZ.

11. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as i understand, AMD name their CPU's by putting them on a par with a Pentium CPU.
    so the 3200+ would equate to a 3.2ghx P4.
    if im wrong, im sure someone will point it out, but thats what ive read.

12. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive looked at some games, and it seems that a slow proccesor 256MB RAM with a 32MB video Card is enough for power hungry games. - http://gameworldnetwork.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=2896852 - this game came out in november 04, and look at the specs:eek: ! A 512MB with 64MB Ram should cover the reccomended specs. Why is the min. proccesor so low though. Oh well. Now I can spend extra money on a better proccesor now, cant I.:thumbsup:

13. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Frazal - there is a major difference between minimum and recommended spec - hey, XPPro has a minimum cpu of 300mhz but I would not like to run it on that...:)

Also, I would check a few reviews for Tiny laptops before buying.