1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AmD Advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Loafer316, May 20, 2003.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi ppl...i'm hoping to upgrade my pc this week (PIII 500...have had problems with it freezing,restarting,slowing down etc.). I'm gonna spend the the majority of the upgrade on the motherboard..a Asus Nforce deluxe board...get a couple of sticks of crucial 256 pc2700 ddr ram. I can only really budget for a reasonable speed processor and was thinking about the xp2100 retail one at ebuyer.

I know there are the Thorughbred processors which have a A and B type....and the B is considered better (cooler?). Some can overclock better than others??...although i have no plans to overclock at all now...but it might come in handy later on. I'm gonna get an El cheapo case and psu from ebuyer for now...and hopefully get a decent quiet PSU like a thermaltake 420watts, levicom etc later.

i can budget up to £70 for the processor...don't really know which one to go for....main tasks are going to be surfing, watching films, running dscaler on the monitor and perhaps converting a fews divx/xvids to vcds etc.

thxs:smashin:

2. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 2000+ (oem) is £50 at www.overclockers.co.uk
    Spend £30 on a good HS and fan. your CPU will be alot more overclockable !

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For more advice try www.amd3d.com they will be able to advise on o-clocking and on heat sinks etc.

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thxs i'm gonna try pushing it and get a xp2400 retail...(just for 3 year warranty!)... this can have the system up and running and give time to look for a decent/quiet Heat Sink. I have no immeadiate attention of overclocking the chip. I just saw an older Zalman CNPS5100-AlCu heat sink for about £17...is this any good...or should go for the Zalman Flower??.....i can't go OTT as i'm already pushing a tight budget!!:suicide:

Thxs ppl!!

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The stock heat sinks with the retail xp chips really aren't all that noisey especially if you make use of the temp monitoring on the Asus boards which slow the fans, definitly not worth bothering with a cheaper HS replacement.

You'd be better off just changing the fan for a slower spinning one of a similar size to reduce noise a bit further if it bothers you.

For overclocking on air you'll go along way to beat the Thermalright SLK800 with a 92mm Panaflo, I've had a xp2100B at xp2700 speeds and nice and stable on a 333 fsb.:cool:

If I was you I'd get the xp2400 for now and use the stock HSF and worry about changing the HSF if you really decide its worth it later. I've also got a xp2400 in my desktop machine with the stock HS and it overclocks to xp2800 speeds okay.

6. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thxs John!:smashin: Am i right in thinking all Xp2400 processors are the throughbred B type?....like i said it's only the 3year warranty that swayed me to get the retail...plus you get a HSF thrown in otherwise i would have found a cheaper OEM one.

Also will the normal thermal grease/pad be ok or should opt for the Arctic Silver stuff?....don't really want it getting messy it's my first build you see!!:rolleyes:

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I beleive that all of the 2400's are based on the "b" core.

I've used the standard sticky grease pad on the 2400 in my desktop machine with no probelems, I only use thermal grease if I hve to remove and replace it.

8. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look around and see if you can find a 1700+ 'B' core - JUIHB stepping. I have one that is currently running at 2137 MHz (185*11.5).

I can heartily recommend the Epox 8RDA+ nForce2 Mobo - has great ocing abilities as well as the std nForce2 stuff.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried 2x XP1700+ CPUs & both ran @ 2.3gHz (XP3?00+) 100% stable.

Only needed 1.65v to get there (default 1.5v got both to 2gHz without problems) so temps were low.

Only £45ish - bargain

10. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm...thats's interesting!!...but that's what i don't understand!. Is say a xp2400 better than a xp1700 because it can be overclocked even more...or is it the same architecture of the type 'B' Xp1700? and that the XP2400 has come from the factory to run a bit harder already.

And what about running temperatures? would a Xp1700 overclocked to xp2400 spec run at the same temperature as a normal xp2400? My CPU will be cooled purely on air and hopefully quietly!

I really didn't have the intention of buying a chip and overclocking straight away..but wanted it to be good enough run now and perhaps overclock when i felt things were slowing down.

Glad you boys know yer stuff!!:laugh:

11. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll find that the 2400s can be OCd, but not by as much of a percentage.

The 1700s typically hit the 2Ghz mark, which, as their default is 1480, is a HUGE increase. The 2400 will OC and should be faster - however it is also more expensive.

The 1700 'B' is thought to be the best "bang per buck" AMD chip out there currently. However, supplies are limited.

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    With all this talk of O/C your proc I would sugest you rethink your plan of a cheap case and psu as clean stable power becomes more important when O/C a proc. Antec lan boy is a good buy at about £70. It may be more than your cheap case but you will find that the psu is step up from the pos used in cheap cases.:p

13. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your right Graham....the cheap case and Psu is an interim thing really...i have no intention of overclocking with the pants 300w psu you get with these things. once i have more funds to spend on the pc i was thinking of the Thermaltake 420w psu...or a antec truepower psu....plus a decent heatsink. The Antec lan boy might work out good all round i'll check it out mate.