1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD A64 939 or Intel P4 775?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by onewingedangel, Nov 23, 2004.

1. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What would you reccomend for a system. Cost wise the only are where the intel setup would prove more expensive is using ddr2 instead of ddr, but this is only about an extra £60 or so. I'm not a big gamer, and I intend to use the machine for a bit of everything, including video processing a sweetespot input. The intel setup has the advantage of having dolby digital live, and now that the NF4 doesn't have this feature the amd setups are somewhat lacking on the audio front. So should I go for the AMD setup, which would prove better for games, and be cooler and therefore quieter. Or do I go the intel route, with improved multitasking and dolby digital live support? The only hesitation I have about the intel route is that the prescott 2m will be out in january, and that extra 1meg l2 may prove very useful on the still cache starved p4 arciecture. Any advice?

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I having an almost identical debate to you. :lesson: The only difference is I will be playing games so pushes me more towards the A64 route a bit.

But ... I also want DD Live and only some 915/925 Intel-based boards have it.

I think if games weren't in the picture that it would definitely be an Intel, if not just for the HD Audio.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For non-gaming rigs I still don't think 775s or A64s are any better than P4 Northwoods, a 3.4 is pretty pokey still .. though admittedly no Dolby-Live here but I never really found much use for SoundStorm in my NF2 systems so maybe I'm missing something here.

If D-L is vital then an ASUS 775 system I think is probably what I'd go for, I've always liked ASUS but then I'm not a big OC-er, for which they're not the best I know.

4. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    AMD 64 all the way mate. I've been converted to the dark side ;)

Used to be Intel all the way.