1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD 939 or 754

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DEANO-B, Jan 13, 2005.

1. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Building myself a new PC and am wondering whats the difference between the AMD 64 754 and the AMD 64 939. The price for the 3000Mhz chips are the same at £105.

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive read that the 939 will be a little more future proof than the 754.
    although i have also read that this isnt so true and that the 754 is going to be focused on the lower end of the market.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Socket 754 is going to be used for the low-end parts in future (i.e. AMD's equivalent of Intel's Celeron), while Socket 939 is going to be used for the "full" Athlon 64's, and according to some websites future dual-core Athlon 64's will be Socket 939 too, so 939 should be the more future proof if that is the case

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 939 is the new chip pin count and therefore is allot more future proof. Eventually AMD want the 939 to be the mainstream and the 754 the budget model.

The newest processors based on the 939 chipset are also 90nm chips as apposed to the 130nm counterparts. This makes them run cooler as smaller parts means less heat generation.

Also the 939 socket processors can talk to memory two banks at a time which is why they have to have more pins for the memory controller which is on board on the Athlon 64. They have taken account of this fact in the speed that they run the processor so a 3000 939 pin is the same as a 3000 754 pin except you only run the 939 pin 3000 at 1.8GHz and the 754 pin at 2.0GHz.

What does this mean for a HCPC then I ask you cry.

Well a 939 pin chip runs cooler and at a lower speed but at the same processing speed as the 754 variant, but as you can imagine the fan does not need to spin as fast when comparing the two chips so it means a quieter HTPC.

AMD have really pulled a blinder with this new chip compared with Intels prescot which really is a power hungry beast that needs more serious cooling than the AMD chip. A real turning point since Intel have always up until now had the cooling quieting edge.

All the Athlon 64 chips have a uneque feature for HTPC's as well and that is a thing called cool and quiet. If you fit your Athlon 64 with the heatsink fan that it comes with in the box. In your motherboard bios set cool and quiet to on, and set it to ACPC 2.0 (a power thingy) then install the driver from the AMD web site for Windos 98 and up and set your power to Minimul, then the processor speeds up and slows down and the voltage to it goes up and down depending on load, also the fan is temperature controlled so when playing a dvd with powerdvd the 3000 processor in my HTPC which at full load would run at 1.8GHZ and 1.5V runs at just 900MHz and 1.0V with the resulting fan speed being very quiet, play a game and you can tell its working harder.

PLease note if you have cool and quiet switched on and use FFDshow then the processor will speed up to 1.8GH and 1.5V but I still find the heatsink fan quiet then.

Hope this clears it up.

PS. Duel core processors (two processors in a single package) are due out this year and I reckon these will require a 939 motherboard and it is then that the 754 will be considered the budget end. Also the next lot of AMD's will have SSE3.

PPS. The current Athlon 64s have all that the intel chips offer plus some of their own. SSE3 is not used much if at all just now.

Regards
    Robert

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that was a rant :) UP With AMD DOWN WIV Intel. :)

Also I wrote it very fast so there may be speolling errors before you point out how to spell minimal. :)

6. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :thumbsup:
    Geez a simply 'the 939 is the best' would have done!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Only joking - nice one fella!! The 939 it is!

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,952
    Are there any matx socket 939 motherboards available? If not are there likely to be in the near future? I'd like to go down this route and get a Claritas 390M but of course it needs an matx motherboard!

Cheers
    Andy

8. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FoxConn NF4K8MA-KS nForce4 Micro ATX (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-000-FC

Price: £54.95 (£64.57 Including VAT at 17.5%)

- Support AMD Athlon™ 64 Socket 939 processor
    - System Bus 1600MT/s
    - Dual channel DDR 400/333 x2 DIMMs
    - PCIe x16, PCI X2, PCIe x1
    - P-ATA x1, S-ATA x4
    - 5.1 channel
    - Realtek GbE LAN
    - 8 USB 2.0 ports

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/FoxConn_Socket_939.html

Only one as far as I can tell so far.