AMD 7000 GPU - *Part 2*

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Part One here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1558806-amd-7000-gpu.html

Recent posts, albeit a little er ... strange:

Nobody knows... He's not been outside (or had his hair cut) since 1998....

We can only go by what is on his AVF avatar...

I remember receiving a Mr Afro nose and ear trimmer as a joke present for Christmas, i couldn't help but think Razor would love it when i opened it.

I believe that's one of Razors' children.

As you were ...

What an awesome convo to start this thread with!

It paints quite the picture! :smashin:

Dave - I want one of those Afro men, they look superb. :D

It can't be a coincidence that it's got green hair. :thumbsup:

I didn't fancy hotfix or roll back hair. It just didn't suit me. :smashin:

If you don't know what you're doing, Soul glo is what you need m8. :laugh:

That looks impressive.. But aren't PC the budget brand?

I would expect current 7970s to come down in price to make way for these.

AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition "Tahiti XT2" Detailed | techPowerUp

It's quintessentially a 'refined' and pre-overclocked HD7970 - The most impressive part is chopping off 0.1V, to bring its power usage down to (nearly?) nVidias standard.

That card will most definitely pump the GTX680 in the face. The MSI R7970 Lightning does it (and that comes pre-OC'd at 1000-Odds MHz).

I wonder if they've (dramatically) increased the OC overhead too; especially since there's more MHz at stock, and less volts! :smashin:

It will be a tough gamble to decide which one to go for....

A HD7970 V2, which has potential to be 5-15% faster than a stock 7970..

Or just go for a reduced price & aftermarket HD7970 and OC the balls off it.

Most 7970s will clock well past 1GHz and have done from day 1 back in January.

Most non reference designs are already running around 1GHz.

Also a note on the voltage, the 7970 doesn't have a standard voltage, each chip produced is tested and gets binned to one of a range of pre defined voltages.

once they get below the $300 mark, ill trade in my 6970 for it.
That should keep me going till the next batch of cards comes out.

once they get below the $300 mark, ill trade in my 6970 for it.
That should keep me going till the next batch of cards comes out.

Good plan. The 6970 is still a beast of a card though. I seen a sapphire 6950->6970 going in the classifieds for £115... I was so tempted just to grab it (since I have the cash, just now).

But alas, I want a 'big' upgrade... I might just wait until the new 7970V2 comes out and grab one (or two) of the old 7970s from the classifieds :D [Assuming there's at least two day 1 buyers!]

I want my system to boast +60FPS. I don't like it slipping below 60FPS on some titles. I'd love something like a GTX690 or a HD 7990, but I can't throw that much money at a GPU... The 'Cheap Man' inside me won't allow it!

Firing up ye-olde Crysis, and watching my FPS drop into the 40s really shocked me. I remember playing it on my old machine, and it was almost unplayable at anything above low-med, and that was 5 years ago! :(

Last edited:
TheNameIsJambo said:
Good plan. The 6970 is still a beast of a card though. I seen a sapphire 6950->6970 going in the classifieds for £115... I was so tempted just to grab it (since I have the cash, just now).

But alas, I want a 'big' upgrade... I might just wait until the new 7970V2 comes out and grab one (or two) of the old 7970s from the classifieds :D [Assuming there's at least two day 1 buyers!]

I want my system to boast +60FPS. I don't like it slipping below 60FPS on some titles. I'd love something like a GTX690 or a HD 7990, but I can't throw that much money at a GPU... The 'Cheap Man' inside me won't allow it!

Firing up ye-olde Crysis, and watching my FPS drop into the 40s really shocked me. I remember playing it on my old machine, and it was almost unplayable at anything above low-med, and that was 5 years ago! :(

Not worthing waiting for the next round? Thats my plan tbh
The jump from my 480 isn't big enough to warrant the cash really.

Not worthing waiting for the next round? Thats my plan tbh
The jump from my 480 isn't big enough to warrant the cash really.

I thought about it. My initial plan was that I could pick up another 6950 - if it's flashable, or already flashed - or a real HD6970 and just bung it in beside my current card.... Even then, I'd still have enough GPU power to last me a long damn time.

When you look at it this way, the 6970 gets somewhere between 50-70FPS in BF3 @ 1080 w/ FXAA. I've never really seen any stuttering happening... But then again, I've not played 64-man maps!

If I dropped another one in (for a measly £100-odd from the Classifieds), I'd be getting about 100-140FPS.

Which is more than enough for my 1080/60Hz monitor!

I wonder if they've (dramatically) increased the OC overhead too; especially since there's more MHz at stock, and less volts! :smashin:

If they keep the percentile OC from the current 7970 it should hit 1350-1400Mhz. :thumbsup: But maybe not.

I'm thinking that these will be the cores they use for the 7990 now.

Looks like AMD have a revised 7970 ready with reference clock of 1GHz and a further boost of 50Mhz much like nVidia's GK104, although reading the article AMD already do this with some of their APUs.

AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Battling For The Performance Crown

Guess some of the reports floating about regarding clock speeds and voltages were greatly exaggerated. The voltage really hasn't been reduced all that much at all so no significant reductions in heat or power consumption.

Essentially (and logically I guess) it looks like it's just a 7970 with a better binned chip, a decent factory OC and a new bios that gives a small clock boost....and a potentially a wee bit more overclocking headroom. Although the obvious downsides of the higher clock speeds are noisier and hotter running reference cards. Will be interesting to see what the custom cards bring to the table.

That's a decent article but I'd personally have liked to have seen some head-to-head comparisons between a 7970GE and a 7970 OC'd to the same core / memory clock speeds, as that would give a better idea of relative temps, noise and power consumption and how much of an improvement (in temps & power consumption) there is.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least one of the fabled dual-GPU Radeon HD 7990 / 7970 X2 graphics cards has been scrapped, but people can stop worrying about them all having been abandoned.

The board we say has been canceled is ASUS's ARES. Considering ASUS's high status, and the difficulty of making dual-chip high-end cards, the move was enough cause for speculations about all such adapters being scrapped, or at least put on an indefinite hold.

The folks over at VR-Zone say no such worries should persist through. According to unnamed sources of theirs, most other projects are going [COLOR=#0054a6! important][COLOR=#0054a6! important]forward[/COLOR][/COLOR] as planned.

In fact, they are going [COLOR=#0054a6! important][COLOR=#0054a6! important]forward[/COLOR][/COLOR] so well that a limited release may happen this very month (July 2012), in the second half.

That means that the day of arrival, which even AMD's OEMs do not know, is not far off. NVIDIA should sharpen its tools and see what it can do with the GTX 690, just in case.

The specs of the dual-Radeon HD 7000 boards vary from company to company. Even the name is undecided between HD 7990 and HD 7970 X2.

We're fairly certain HD 7990 will be AMD's choice, but its partners could go with the latter, especially if they design their own models instead of adapting a reference version.

Two Tahiti GPUs will be backed by 6 GB of memory or, as absurd as it sounds, even 12 GB. The codename of the 7990 will be “New Zealand”.

Needless to say, the price of the monsters is unknown even now. Even if a leak revealed it, there is no guarantee that AMD won't change it between now and the release day.

The same goes for the specifications, with one exception: word is already out on the fact that New Zealand will possess dynamic GPU overclocking, similar in purpose (but not in operation) to NVIDIA's GPU Boost

AMD Radeon HD 7990 Dual-GPU Might Launch This Month - Softpedia

The ROG Matrix 7970 is ASUS' addition to a growing line of upcoming Radeon HD 7970 graphics cards by various AMD add-in board (AIB) partners, with extremely high (≥25% factory OC), although its exact clock speeds are not revealed at this point. What we do know, is that the card will be backed by a strong VRM, which will support its factory OC, and then some. The card draws power from two 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

ASUS Shows Off ROG Matrix 7970 Graphics Card by VR-Zone.com

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom