AMD “ZEN3” CPU 08/10/2020

Just bought a ryzen 7 5800x and now looking for a mobo to go with it as I'm currently using an Intel i7, any recommendations please guys for one that I don't need to update the bios to get the 5800x to work, thanks in advance

Just bought a ryzen 7 5800x and now looking for a mobo to go with it as I'm currently using an Intel i7, any recommendations please guys for one that I don't need to update the bios to get the 5800x to work, thanks in advance
What will you be using it for? Do you have an idea of budget?

No guarantee that the one you'll get won't need a bios update, unless the retailer can do one for you

Aren't all B/X 500 motherboards compatible out of the box?
I haven't looked into it too much but I presumed some boards supported them out of the box without a bios update, it's just the older ones that will need a bios update?

I haven't looked into it too much but I presumed some boards supported them out of the box without a bios update, it's just the older ones that will need a bios update?
That's what I thought too, but the post above has me questioning that now! I reckon you should be okay with any B550 or X570 mobos. There are a ton to choose from so just get whichever suits your budget and has all the extra ports/WiFi etc that you will need.

For reference, I got a Rog Strix X570 in December and had to do a Bios update before it would boot with a 5600x.

Was very easy to do with the dedicated USB port in the back, but make sure you make the USB stick prior to dismantling everything if you dont have a spare PC/laptop.

I'm thinking of going for this if anyone has one already or could recommend better for less than £230ish
Screenshot_20210120_150949_com.brave.browser.jpg

That's what I thought too, but the post above has me questioning that now! I reckon you should be okay with any B550 or X570 mobos. There are a ton to choose from so just get whichever suits your budget and has all the extra ports/WiFi etc that you will need.

Both X570 and B550 were available well before Ryzen 5000 CPU's were released so no guarantee on if they have the correct bios when you purchase, as @Delvey says get a board with bios flashback then you can just update the bios.

I have a MSI X570 Tomahawk and its a great board with plenty of features :thumbsup:

Both X570 and B550 were available well before Ryzen 5000 CPU's were released so no guarantee on if they have the correct bios when you purchase, as @Delvey says get a board with bios flashback then you can just update the bios.
Ah, well today I learned something! So do Zen 2/1 CPU's work on them as well?

I'm thinking of going for this if anyone has one already or could recommend better for less than £230ish
View attachment 1445020
i have the 570 tomahawk and find it to be an excellent board, i got for £195, updating the bios is no biggie as you do not need a working cpu in it.

IF you go MSI stick with the tomahawk series (at least for the 570 chipset) some of their boards before that are hit and miss apparently. the 570 Tomahawk was a bit of a revival for them.

The x570 unify also seems fine ( got one and the tomahawk mentioned above - no issues so far)

If you want to tweak/push your memory settings etc the 'MSI X570 Tomahawk' can just goes into a state of not even booting to the bios screen and you have to mess around re-set/re-flashing the bios. Not sure what other boards do though!

If you want to tweak/push your memory settings etc the 'MSI X570 Tomahawk' can just goes into a state of not even booting to the bios screen and you have to mess around re-set/re-flashing the bios. Not sure what other boards do though!

All boards would be the same but normally just a bios reset using the jumpers does the trick, I have a small switch on a cable connected to the jumpers which goes out through one of the graphics IO slots at the back which saves having to even open the case if I want to do some tweaking.

All boards would be the same but normally just a bios reset using the jumpers does the trick, I have a small switch on a cable connected to the jumpers which goes out through one of the graphics IO slots at the back which saves having to even open the case if I want to do some tweaking.
Sounds like a good idea.
it just seems pointless leaving it a non-boot state, I assumed it would be clever enough to automatically boot into a 'default settings' bios if changes you made didn't work.

I literally just had to do this as I was a bit ambitious/stupid with my RAM overclock. Had a few moments of panic that I had managed to brick my PC

The latest beta of MSI Afterburner adds CPU temp, speed etc for ryzen 5 series it seems

The latest beta of MSI Afterburner adds CPU temp, speed etc for ryzen 5 series it seems
Yup, works fine too from my experience, being using it the last week or so.

Anyone used clock tuner for there 5800x. I had a little play with it yesterday and got 4750mhz on all cores. Cinebench runs were better but the biggest change was temp and voltage. It’s maxing out at 60c on full load and idling 28-32c all at 1.2v

Anyone used clock tuner for there 5800x. I had a little play with it yesterday and got 4750mhz on all cores. Cinebench runs were better but the biggest change was temp and voltage. It’s maxing out at 60c on full load and idling 28-32c all at 1.2v
Yes it is a good bit of software. It took a while to run through the whole setup but it dropped the temperatures by a few degrees
(Which reminds me, do I need to run it again after resetting my BIOS?)

I’ll be looking at ways to bring the temps down on my 5800x when it’s up and running. I hear they run hot.

Yes it is a good bit of software. It took a while to run through the whole setup but it dropped the temperatures by a few degrees
(Which reminds me, do I need to run it again after resetting my BIOS?)
Mine kicks in when app opens on start up so don’t know if it changes the bios tbh

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom