AMD “ZEN3” CPU 08/10/2020

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the announcement is just around the corner!

Couldn’t see a thread for this so thought I’d create one. Anyone looking to purchase one of the new Zen 3 CPUs?

I’m hoping a 4600/4700 offers a considerable jump personally to zen2, and timing my upgrade around its release.

What’s hype like at these kind of releases? Can we expect an Nvidia style s-show and long back orders?

Yep, definitely getting one. Upgrading from a 2600 to an 8-core and might upgrade my B450 for a B550 if needed. No chance of an Nvidia style release. AMD secured a large amount of TSMC allocation a while back and their yields are far superior to Samsung. I skipped Zen 2 so this should be a very nice upgrade.

I've been waiting for the right upgrade for a few years now and this is it! Was ready to start a new build now and get a 3700x but we're so close to this I can wait a little longer.

I'm pretty sure they'll work with X570 boards but are they releasing new boards too at the same time?

I'm pretty sure they'll work with X570 boards but are they releasing new boards too at the same time?

Pretty sure they're not releasing new boards as B550 and A520 have only just come out. Check out Hardware Unboxed VRM testing of B550 and X570 boards as some of them were awful when cooling 8 cores or more.

Pretty sure they're not releasing new boards as B550 and A520 have only just come out. Check out Hardware Unboxed VRM testing of B550 and X570 boards as some of them were awful when cooling 8 cores or more.
I was wanting to get MSI x570 Unify

The Unify was the new board they released after some of their initial release boards were slated. Seems like a decent one:

I've been waiting for the right upgrade for a few years now and this is it! Was ready to start a new build now and get a 3700x but we're so close to this I can wait a little longer.

You sound just like me! I’m hoping the 4700x should make things worth the wait, or do something positive to the 3700 price to have warranted the wait.
I’ve just ordered the X570 tomahawk and Corsair pro rgb ram, I’ve just got to decide on what cooling solution and whether to upgrade my ssd to nvme m.2

You sound just like me! I’m hoping the 4700x should make things worth the wait, or do something positive to the 3700 price to have warranted the wait.
I’ve just ordered the X570 tomahawk and Corsair pro rgb ram, I’ve just got to decide on what cooling solution and whether to upgrade my ssd to nvme m.2
Lol, yeah!

I actually started a pc build a year ago but lost my job.

Before I lost my job though I bought case, ram, aio, psu, nvme. Had to put my old 6600k and 1060 6gb in in though.

Now I'm ready! Just need mobo, cpu and gpu!

Going to buy the mobo today though. Got a feeling some x570 boards will go out of stock with the release of a new cpu!

Really want an RTX 3070 but given what's happened with the 3080 launch I don't like my chances:/

I'm running an i7-6700k.
It's doing fine. I think.

WAS getting the 3080 for her end of life upgrade. Won't be getting one of those soon.............

Maybe I'll get one of these.
New motherboard + processor and swap over the other components.

Will I have an issue with Windows?
Also, I've run Intel for yonks now and I keep hearing that you can slip new processors into the motherboard. Will I be able to hot swap future processors into a new MB I get? That would be great!

Caz2005. Sorry about your job :-( Hope things are on the up. Your system sounds like mine. I've got a 1070 instead.

Last edited:
I'm running an i7-6700k.
It's doing fine. I think.

WAS getting the 3080 for her end of life upgrade. Won't be getting one of those soon.............

Maybe I'll get one of these.
New motherboard + processor and swap over the other components.

Will I have an issue with Windows?
Also, I've run Intel for yonks now and I keep hearing that you can slip new processors into the motherboard. Will I be able to hot swap future processors into a new MB I get? That would be great!

Caz2005. Sorry about your job :-( Hope things are on the up. Your system sounds like mine. I've got a 1070 instead.
Thanks, things turned around though hence the new PC parts :D It's a lousy industry to be in being a 3D artist, past 3 jobs have been lost due to companies closing down. Getting my PC finished before anything happens this time! :rotfl:

I built a replacement 3700x last year due to faulty CPU but considering doing a full new system based on these new CPU's. However with GPU's selling out I think it'll likely be new year for me. Should give time for all the new parts to settle down to decent stock levels.

I built a replacement 3700x last year due to faulty CPU but considering doing a full new system based on these new CPU's. However with GPU's selling out I think it'll likely be new year for me. Should give time for all the new parts to settle down to decent stock levels.
To be honest, as much as I want a 3070, I don't really want to be a part of Nvidia's (albeit supposed) mind games with us the consumers. I'll give getting a Founders 3070 a shot on launch day but if the same thing as the 3080 launch happens no way am I going to spend way over rrp on a branded card.

I'll quite happily "put up with" my 1060 until the right card is available.

I've got everything I need to build a new PC now except a CPU so roll on October AMD! :p

Im currently on a r5 2600 with a b450 a, 16gb DDR4 and a 1070ti, so Im hoping to upgrade the processor to the new 4 series, or maybe 3700x if there isnt a big difference.
Going to replace the 1070ti with either the new 3070 or possibly the new AMD card.
Hoping that I will be able to do these using my B450 motherboard as I cant really afford to upgrade absolutely everything.
will hopefully bring it up to date and give me another 3/4 years use before a total new build.

Im currently on a r5 2600 with a b450 a, 16gb DDR4 and a 1070ti, so Im hoping to upgrade the processor to the new 4 series, or maybe 3700x if there isnt a big difference.
Going to replace the 1070ti with either the new 3070 or possibly the new AMD card.
Hoping that I will be able to do these using my B450 motherboard as I cant really afford to upgrade absolutely everything.
will hopefully bring it up to date and give me another 3/4 years use before a total new build.
Off the top of my head , i think you can upgrade the CPU to the newer 4000 or 5000 CPU's ( what ever their going to be called )
You can do this with a BIOS updat and the b450 will run the CPU ,
How ever !!!!!! iirc
once you have done the BIOS update there's NO going back and the mobo will only work with the 4000/5000 CPU for then on .. ( putting a 3000 will not work any more )

Off the top of my head , i think you can upgrade the CPU to the newer 4000 or 5000 CPU's ( what ever their going to be called )
You can do this with a BIOS updat and the b450 will run the CPU ,
How ever !!!!!! iirc
once you have done the BIOS update there's NO going back and the mobo will only work with the 4000/5000 CPU for then on .. ( putting a 3000 will not work any more )
just read up on what you were saying, Ive had a bad bios from MSI in the past that made my system run like crap, couldnt figure out what it was for a while and then a revised bios solved it, Id imagine it will be a "one and done" situation for them updating the b450 board so hopefully they get it right first time.

How will upgrading the bios to be compatible work. Put PC together then upgrade the bios before even installing Windows?

How will upgrading the bios to be compatible work. Put PC together then upgrade the bios before even installing Windows?
Long story short :
Amd said ages ago the B450 mobo would work with the newer CPU's ( say the 4000 chips)
AMD then said Nope we have changed out minds !
if you want the newer 4000 CPU's you will have too buy a new mobo ($$$ :D LOL SOL )
Internet went mad :mad: ,
AMD changed their mind again , so that the b450 will now support the 4000 chips ...
but it's a "beta Bios" and will only work one way 3000 > 4000 ( no going back )

it's to with the size of the Bios chip on the b450 mobo ( their can only hold so much data !!)
the B550 mobo have a larger Bios chips and can hold more data ...

but that the gist of it ..

Long story short :
Amd said ages ago the B450 mobo would work with the newer CPU's ( say the 4000 chips)
if you want the newer 4000 CPU's you will have too buy a new mobo ($$$ :D LOL SOL )
AMD changed their mind again , so that the b450 will now support the 4000 chips ...

it's to with the size of the Bios chip on the b450 mobo ( their can only hold so much data !!)

Is that true with the B450 max boards? As they increase the bios size to allow full UEFI with ryzen 3 series

Long story short :

Ah, my motherboard is an x570 though, so I think I'll be fine. I was really meaning the literal steps to building a PC that needs it's bios updated before it'll even work.

Is that true with the B450 max boards? As they increase the bios size to allow full UEFI with ryzen 3 series
Not sure , will have a look later ( i know it stands with the normal b450 )

I think AMD just make the "MAX" so people didn't have to mess on trying to update the Bios or find a 2000 chip and update that way ( i could be wrong )

Ah, my motherboard is an x570 though, so I think I'll be fine. I was really meaning the literal steps to building a PC that needs it's bios updated before it'll even work.

Aye c , `
the only issue is, if some one has a normal b450 and wanted to use the 3000/4000 CPU's
their needed to update the bios..
their was two options
1: using the BIOS flashback build into the mobo ( not all mobos have this option )
2: using a 2000 chip , boot in to the bios and do the update that way ..

All "B450 MAX" mobo's work with the 3000 CPU's out of the box

how ever the OP above only wants to upgrade his CPU , so as long he's latest bios he should be good to go , ( i was just making him aware of the issue > ( one way update )

Where have AMD said about the beta bios being a no going back procedure? When earlier boards had to support Zen 2 they just removed support for Zen 1 from the bios. I have a B450 so would just buy a new board and sell the old one rather than applying a non-reversable bios which would limit its resale potential.

I’ve got a Z570 on order, and likely will only put the zen 3 chip in. Will I have a bios issue to be aware of?

On another note, tbh I’m starting to have second thoughts about AMD. Pricing up even the 3600 with the z570 seems to come in about the same price as a 10600k and z490, and I understand the 10600k is better for gaming which is my general focus. That said, the AMD route gives me pcie 4, whereas it doesn’t look like the case with lga1200.

So with all that said I’m hoping zen3 can create a 4600 that can out perform the 10600k.

I’ve got a Z570 on order, and likely will only put the zen 3 chip in. Will I have a bios issue to be aware of?

On another note, tbh I’m starting to have second thoughts about AMD. Pricing up even the 3600 with the z570 seems to come in about the same price as a 10600k and z490, and I understand the 10600k is better for gaming which is my general focus. That said, the AMD route gives me pcie 4, whereas it doesn’t look like the case with lga1200.

So with all that said I’m hoping zen3 can create a 4600 that can out perform the 10600k.
As far as i know it's only the B450 and X470 mobo
so you should be fine with the X570 and any future CPU line ups until AMD change it

looking at this the 10600k seems to be slightly better

if it costs the same for both , you could be better off with Intel ( high core clocks which is better for gaming)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom